Do you love building great teams? Hiring great talent to swarm some of the hardest challenges in our industry? Are you excited by databases especially one that is built from the ground-up for the cloud? Join us as a foundation leader for a new transactional database initiative at AWS.
Work with a team of industry experts to build the next generation of transactional database technology. A revolutionary cloud native scale-out SQL database for operational workloads.
Key job responsibilities
- Recruit world-class software engineers
- Help develop and refine team mission and priorities.
- Be on top of the trends in distributed databases and build a team that is leading in the field.
- Grow, mentor and coach people.
- Put mechanisms in place to ensure your org delivers results.
A day in the life
- Recruit top talent to the team
- Develop, train, and audit your teams
- Meet with customers to collect requirements and address issues
- Help define the product
- Design and build out product features
- Work with AWS Address customer performance issues
- Build out HTAP features
- Work with partner AWS teams on technology and service integration
- Participate in AWS and Amazon wide efforts requiring your leadership
About the team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- BS Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years of software development experience, with at least 2+ years’ experience managing managers
- 5+ years’ experience in Agile/SCRUM enterprise-scale software development
- 7+ years’ experience with more than one of Java, C/C++, C#
- 7+ years’ experience leading teams designing and delivering systems level software.
- A strong desire to learn and invent new things!
- Experience in developing large scale or complex applications.
- Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills.
- Background developing database internals, distributed storage or distributed file systems preferred
- Experience in designing and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
- An advanced degree in computer science or engineering discipline.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.