Time & Pay Innovation under People Experience and Technology org. (PXT) is looking for a Software Development Manager to build and lead an engineering team as part of a significant investment to build scalable, interoperable solutions on native AWS platform to support rapid workforce growth and business expansions while meeting Amazon’s scale, innovative policies, data security and compliance requirements.
Time & Pay Innovation’s mission is to build world-class systems that are intuitive and friction-free for all associates, enable management of time and pay, deliver new features faster, and flexibly support future business innovation. We are tackling new, hard problems that Amazon has not solved at scale, creating fundamentally improved ways for employees to record time and pay accurately. Our engineering teams include data engineering, micro-service software development, front-end software development, user experience design and product management.
As an SDM, you will lead a team of engineers responsible for building large-scale intelligent products and services on native AWS components to support Amazon employees worldwide. You will be playing a pivotal role in understanding the pain points in the existing platform and evolving current product experience and solving problems at Amazon scale.
As an ideal candidate, you will lead a talented & motivated group of engineers to build and manage critical products that business, and associates depend on. You will have a proven track record of building a new team, developing complex software solutions ground-up and shipping through an agile methodology. You will have the ability to dive deep into the understanding of problems in order to help your team make the right technical decisions for the product and the business. You will have a proven track record of managing through others and developing the career of your direct reports. You will have proven abilities in managing ambiguous situations.
The team consists of software development engineers that support both global Amazon employees and partnering teams within PXT. We assist in building products to solve complex business problems in the employee Time & Pay space and to accurately track billions of associate transactions per year. We make associate’s life easy by providing easy-to-use self-service tools. We provide real-time information to our associates/managers and partner systems. We optimize existing processes, build automation tools, deprecate unused/redundant tools for smooth operations for faster project delivery. We build de-coupled, interoperable, and scalable solutions outside of 3P products. The team will use highly scalable AWS technologies such as Lambda, Step Functions, SQS/SNS, DynamoDB, S3, ECS and modern UI frameworks.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Manage a team of SDEs to build scalable systems.
• Hire and develop a team of highly talented engineers.
• Work with your team to define and develop an inclusive team culture that fosters individual growth and team success.
• Own the complete software development lifecycle; defining, prioritizing, designing, and leading implementation, user experience and testing of new features.
Key job responsibilities
• You independently manage a team of SDEs. You hire the right mix of SDEs to accomplish team goals. You are able to assess SDE performance and have experience managing both high and low performers. You take effective action addressing employee concerns. You are able to hire, develop, and promote SDEs.
• You define the strategic vision for your team, partnering effectively with business and technology partners. You establish a roadmap and successfully deliver software that executes that vision.
• You are able to independently make short-term vs. long-term decisions. You define clear goals and objectives. You make crisp decisions about what projects move forward and in what priority order.
• Your team has an effective development process and consistently delivers software with minimal defects and system disruption.
• You delegate appropriately, assigning the right level of tasks based on the strength and development objectives of the individuals on your team.
• You proactively identify risks and bring them to the attention of your manager, customers, and stakeholders with plans for mitigation before they become roadblocks. You know when to escalate to Senior Leaders.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Familiarity with cloud computing, AWS Technologies
• A deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping software on time
• Experience with the SCRUM methodology for agile software development preferred
• Track record of developing engineers through various career stages and building high-performance teams
- Master’s degree in computer science, engineering or a related technical discipline.
- Functional knowledge of Time and Attendance or Workforce Management domains.
- Experience with Big Data Technologies.
- Experience in scripting languages like Python.
- Experience with AWS services such as S3 and RDS.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.