We are looking for a passionate, talented, and inventive Applied Science Manager with a
background in Machine Learning to help build industry-leading Speech and Language
technology. Our mission is to push the envelope in Text-to-Speech (TTS) in order to provide
the best-possible experience for our customers.
As an Applied Science Manager at Amazon you will lead a team of scientist and engineers in
the invention, design, development, and deployment of services that impact millions of users
each day. In this role, you will use your management, research and production experience to
develop the team, communicate direction and achieve the results in a fast paced environment.
You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define product features,
drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality produc
Key job responsibilities
- Conducting and coordinating research leading to improved TTS systems
- Owning the strategic planning and project management for technical initiatives.
- Providing technical and scientific guidance to your team members.
- Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from science, engineering and business backgrounds.
- Supporting the career development of your team members.
About the team
Our mission is to develop TTS technology that produces speech indistinguishable from human speech. Our team undertakes research to advance the state of the art in speech generation, and works with multiple stakeholders in Amazon to deliver these improvements to customers. We are the team that gives Alexa her voice.
- Master's Degree in applied research ( machine learning, speech processing or other highly relevant field)
- 5+ years of experience applying ML to solve complex problems for large-scale applications and 1.5+ years of experience managing Machine Learning Scientists
- Ability to translate informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- PhD with specialization in text-to-speech, natural language processing, or machine learning.
- Project management experience working on cross-functional projects.
- Proven achievements of developing and managing a long-term research vision and portfolio of research initiatives, with algorithms and models that have been successfully integrated in production systems.
- Hands on experience with machine learning frameworks such as MXNet, TensorFlow, or PyTorch.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.