Want to work on the cutting edge of cloud technology? Can you explain complex information clearly, concisely and accurately to a technical audience? Can you define strategy and drive it with organizational leaders and subject matter experts? If yes, consider joining us as a Senior Technical Writer on our AWS Simulation Tech (SimTech) documentation team!
As a Senior Technical Writer, you are a creator and a leader whose work plays a key role in customer success. You will be the first customer for new features and services, diving deep to understand how they work, then making it real for customers through technical content. You will be the voice of the customer whose insights drive the continuous improvement of the technical documentation and the services themselves.
While hands-on experience with simulation technology and web services is ideal, it is not required. You will need some technical experience and the ability to dive deep into new technologies quickly. Any experience you have with Linux, XML, and Git is also a bonus. While we don’t expect you to be an expert in these areas, we hope you are excited to learn about them. You must also have the skills to work with organizational leaders, subject matter experts, and other writers to build content strategies and deliver results using agile models and processes.
Key job responsibilities
- Author and deliver high-quality documentation for SimTech customers, with content that is accurate, discoverable, relevant, usable, and well-organized
- Dive deep and become an expert in your areas of ownership
- Use your subject matter expertise in your service and its relevant technologies to develop, negotiate, and drive content strategy in alignment with engineering product strategy
- Be the first customer, providing technical feedback on new features and experiences
- Write customer-facing text for consoles and context-sensitive help panes
- Work with customer data, gather feedback, and drive your insights into strategy and planning to continually improve the documentation
- Work with other writers, editors, and engineers at various levels in the AWS organization to help each other learn and grow, and deliver the best customer experience
A day in the life
As one of a group of writers for SimTech, you'll work on a team with writers for other services, but you'll own AWS RoboMaker docs. On any given day, you might work on several of the areas within the role's key job responsibilities.
About the team
AWS is constantly moving and that can be one of the best parts about this job! You will always be learning and growing. But our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work. Our focus is on Customer Obsession and Delivering Results – and if you can deliver results that satisfy our customers, well, why would we interfere with a great thing by setting specific work hours for you?
This bit’s also important to consider: Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion, and since we’re in the business of communications and innovation, we need voices that understand and can speak effectively to all kinds of developers, to grow excitement and engagement not just among traditional audiences and genres, but new and emerging ones as well. We offer the opportunity to belong, connect, and contribute as members of a growing number of active affinity groups and employee resource groups. We host annual and ongoing learning experiences that cover a variety of inclusion and diversity issues, such as our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
We’re a place where you can have impact based on the professional experience you’ve developed and will develop, and we’ll support your growth along the way.
- Degree or certification in a relevant technical field, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience designing and producing content for developer and technical audiences.
- Experience using content publishing tools to write, format, manage, and publish technical content on the web.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience designing, planning, and delivering content projects.
- Experience with cloud computing or web services.
- Technical experience in a major technology area such as Game Development, Simulation, or Robotics.
- Experience working with agile project management methodologies.
- Experience working with Git or a similar distributed version control system.
- Experience working with XML, markdown, or HTML.
- Familiarity with using and following a style guide.
- Experience working directly with teams of software engineers.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $125,800/year in our lowest geographical market, up to $187,300/year in our highest geographical market. Pay is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on payment and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Applicants should apply via our internal or external careers site.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.