Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world leader in providing a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world!
As a Software Development Manager, you will lead a highly-effective team driving continuous feature delivery and operational excellence. You will innovate, think big, and inspire great communication inside and outside your team. You will solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context. You will continually align your team’s work, goals and priorities with Amazon’s business objectives. You, along with your team, will build flexible systems and processes without over-engineering and choose simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones.
You must be able to:
- Lead highly-effective teams, delivering highly available and reliable software for large, critical, and complex systems.
- Be a hands on manager who loves to roll up their sleeves and working on software development activities such as planning, design and code reviews
- Independently lead hiring and performance management for your team
- Recognize the high and low performers are and coach individuals for performance at both ends of the spectrum
- Create the identity and structure for your team
- Inculcate a culture of innovation and operational efficiency in the team
- Influence technical priorities and business strategy through data-driven contributions
- Successfully manage all stages of a program (from concept to delivery)
- Define all aspects of projects and programs including collecting requirements, writing high-quality documents and doing sprint planning
Developers at Amazon work on real world problems on a global scale, own their systems end-to-end, and influence the direction of our technology that impacts hundreds of millions customers around the world. Join a team of super smart, customer obsessed developers that think big and have fun.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.Have questions about this role? Start a chat with the recruiter today! Please reach out directly to Tracy Fifer at email@example.com for inquiries and questions.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen, must currently possess and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph. In compliance with the U.S. government requirement that employees of its contractors, and employees who work on or in connection with U.S government contracts must receive the COVID-19 vaccine, this position may require that the candidate selected be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. A person is considered fully vaccinated by completing the full regimen of the COVID-19 vaccine (two doses for Pfizer or Moderna and one dose for Johnson & Johnson).
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Masters degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Business and technical vision
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building developer SDKs
- Experience with distributed systems, SOA
- Experience with Cross Domain Solutions
- Demonstrated proficiency with an object-oriented programming language; strong object-oriented design and developing engineers through various career stages and building high-performance teams.
- Experienced in using an iterative process such as SCRUM to deliver engineering projects; experience in continuous improvement to development process.
- Deep knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
- Active TS/SCI with full-scope polygraph
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.