Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2) Networking is looking for a highly skilled Systems Development Engineer who wants to join the development of an exciting new distributed networking platform. Come help us build a fault tolerant, highly available, elastically scaling system that will power new customer facing products and develop into a critical piece of the core EC2 Software Defined Network (SDN). We want someone who’s enthusiastic about the potential of cloud computing and building resilient, scalable and high-performance distributed services.
The ideal candidate thrives on translating complexity into one-click automation and being extremely customer-centric. We obsess over our customer, and require the candidate to share our passion in building and owning a product that delights our customers. They have a proven track record of delivering high quality solutions, performing rigorous testing and monitoring, and work independently as well as mentor junior engineers. We operate at scale and on critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is key. A high level of ownership and accountability is a must.
Key job responsibilities
You are a significant and autonomous contributor. Your work is consistently of high quality. You use technology to solve difficult problems, seeking direction as needed. You are proficient in the majority and have depth in a few of the services and features in your team's scope. You seek to improve these services and features for your team. You understand how your work impacts other teams. You understand your team's core dependencies and can troubleshoot system failures. You are able to take a project, where the implementation is not defined and deliver on schedule, applying appropriate technologies and industry systems-engineering best practices. You provide input to refine requirements You make appropriate implementation trade-off decisions. You identify when implementations are not highly available, performant, secure, stable, instrumented, maintainable, or have defects; you are able to determine short-term mitigations. You have a depth of understanding in multiple areas of technology in an org (e.g., OS, hardware, software, networking, etc.); you have breadth in these areas. You actively contribute to team design, scoping, and prioritization discussions.
You understand the business context and technologies behind your team’s implementations. You are starting to build relationships with your customers and/or partner teams. You understand system impacts and identify opportunities/problems arising from technical decisions. You refine and create processes to ensure they are meeting team goals. You get your implementations reviewed (e.g., designs, code, operational readiness, deployment plans, system changes, etc.). You may begin reviewing the implementations of others. You identify patterns that affect the performance, reliability, or availability of your teams’ systems to create automation that simplifies workloads that scale your operations. You are an excellent diagnostician; you understand your teams’ architecture and how systems interact to root-cause problems (e.g., interpret code, analyse logs, understand dependencies, etc.). You understand and are able to educate others on data classification, storage, and handling in accordance with applicable policies and/or regulations. You understand and are able to educate others on maintenance characteristics, runtime properties, and infrastructure of your teams’ systems. You participate in oncall rotations. You create and review others’ SOPs, documentation, and runbooks.
You take ownership of problems on your team (even when outside your own domain), propose solutions, and either take ownership for their resolution or ensure a clear hand-off to the right owner. You drive operational excellence initiatives that demonstrate measurable results for your team. You provide insight to engineers that operate in different domains (e.g., software, hardware, security, and networking) into how their part interacts with others to form a system. You foster a constructive dialogue and seek resolutions in a professional way. You help recruit and interview for your team. You mentor and help to develop others. You are able to train new team-mates on how your team’s systems are constructed, how they operate, scale, and how secure they are.
About the team
Inclusive Team Culture
- 5+ years of experience running and maintaining or a 24x7 production environment
- 5+ years of experience of Linux system administration
- Strong ability to performing deep, technical troubleshooting
- Strong understanding of Networking Fundamentals and ability to troubleshoot issues with related tools (e.g. ICMP, traceroute, netstat, pcap, etc.)
- 2+ years of experience providing customer-centric support
- 2+ years working with cloud computing environments
- 5+ years of experience working with automation tools
- 5+ years of experience with support procedures and methodologies for production computing environments
- Experience building and/or maintaining production software deployment platforms
- Experience with continuous integration/continuous deployment methodologies
- Strong documentation skills
- Scripting experience (e.g. bash) or basic programming experience in Python
- Master’s degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field OR equivalent experience in a technical position
• The pay range for this position in Colorado is $104k - 160k (yr.); however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.