Have you ever wondered how Amazon selects the offer(s) for a given product from potentially hundreds of sellers selling the same item? It is one of the most critical models in Amazon and one of the most visible ones on the web. Whenever you see price, anywhere on Amazon, in any locale, it is calling this model at the backend. This is an opportunity to work with the team, Offers Experience, that develops and maintains this model. It drives one of the most coveted real estate in the e-commerce industry, the “Offer Display” across all surfaces (mobile app, mobile web, desktop, Alexa shopping) worldwide. The team's vision is to simplify Amazon shopping experience by helping customers discover and evaluate offers to find the right option for their shopping journey. We use statistical models to select, rank and feature the most relevant offers to customers. Our model serves hundreds of millions of Amazon customers and handles millions of requests per second for hundreds of millions of products and billions of offers across the world.
We are looking for a Senior Economist to join this high impact, high visibility team. You will lead the development and expansion of the next generation of the featured offer selection models. These new models will incorporate the continually changing preferences of our customers and continue to scale with numerous new programs that Amazon is introducing for our customers. You will work with multiple Amazon businesses and programs to identify big business opportunities and propose new business features and technical systems to improve customer experience. As a team, we own the end-to-end life cycle of models – estimation, simulation and experimentation. Your work will cut across various sub-disciplines like Causal Inference, Bayesian Hierarchical Models, Counterfactual Estimation and Evaluation, Multi-armed Bandits, and High-dimensional Multivariate Experiments. You will be responsible for the quality of the model and will get the opportunity to present your ideas and share results of your deliverables with Amazon executives and Amazon scholars on a regular basis. As a senior scientist, you will be collaborating with junior scientists to define and enforce broad, company-wide technical standards in statistical modeling, optimization and simulation techniques.
Why is this a great opportunity?
- We impact the global Amazon retail business: We are at the center of Amazon's retail universe. We work closely with other Retail teams like, BuyX, Search, Pricing, Cart, Checkout, Delivery Experience, Ultra Fast Grocery, Subscribe-n-Save, etc. You build systems that are used every time a customer sees any item on the Amazon website (globally) and helps them to make purchase decisions. As a result, your work will earn and preserve the customer trust. Our impact is typically measured in hundreds of millions of dollars.
- We are diverse: Our team is diverse in terms of expertise (SDE/Scientists/Economists/Data Engineer/Product Manager), nationality (10 countries), experience (college grad to industry veteran), tech-stacks (AWS frontend and backend, Datapath), and office locations (Seattle, Bangalore, Berlin, Vancouver).
- We prioritize learning: Work alongside some of Amazon’s smartest engineers, scientists, economists, and product managers. We have one Principal Economist and one Principal SDE in the team to learn from. We regularly take ML courses and present/teach at internal and external forums. We innovate, publish at Amazon Machine Learning Conference (AMLC), and file patents. We regularly review our models with academics like Michael Jordan, Guido Imbens, and our Chief Economist, Pat Bajari.
- We ensure work-life balance: Our team works together to provide work-life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we are all able to maintain high standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives.
- We grow people: In H2 2021 alone, our org promoted 21 employees including a couple of L7 (principal) promotions.
- We have fun: We find ways to relax and unwind with team events and group lunches.
- We offer location flexibility: We are open to team members working from other locations as long as it is in the same country.
If you are ready to truly make an impact on a product that is used by hundreds of millions of people around the world, including your own friends and family, then we would love to talk to you.
Key job responsibilities
- Develop new econometric models or improve existing approaches using scalable techniques.
- Extract data for analysis and model development from large, complex datasets.
- Closely work with engineering teams to build scalable, efficient systems that implement prototypes in production.
- Apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast moving environment.
- Distill problem definitions from informal business requirements and communicate technical solutions to senior business leaders.
- Drive innovation and best practices in applied research across the Amazon research science community.
- PhD in Economics or closely related field
- Basic Qualifications
- PhD in Economics
- 5+ years of experience in industry, consulting, government or academic research
- Fluency in at least one statistical software package such as R, Stata, Matlab, SAS
- Preferred Qualifications
- Applicants with considerably more experience, including mid-career, are also strongly encouraged.
- Strong background in statistical methodologies, machine learning, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, Java, C++, experience with SQL and / or working in a Unix / Linux environment is a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
- Strong research track record.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience with defining organizational research and development practices in an industry setting.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
The base pay range for this position is $159,200 - 215,300 per year. Pay is based on market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on payment and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.