Are you excited about the prospect of making it easier for builders to innovate and create great software? If so, Amazon Software Builder Experience (ASBX) may be the place for you. Created in 2022, ASBX has the mission of creating the world’s best builder experience across tens of thousands of software engineers across both Amazon and AWS.
Builder Insights works at the core of ASBX, shaping what it means to create the world’s best software builder experience. How do we reduce friction and toil for builders, enabling them to have more time to build features and capabilities that will delight Amazon’s customer? Where should we invest in tooling, automation, knowledge discovery, training, etc. to create the biggest benefits for builders? Where will standardization help—and where we should we avoid it—to make ownership easier and more empowering for builders? These are just a few of the challenges we are tackling right now.
We are looking for an experienced, passionate, and hardworking scientist to use data to discover insights and turn those insights into actionable recommendations and products that improve the experience of builders across Amazon. As a Sr. Scientist on the Builder Insights team, you will help set the science strategy for the organization, with a focus on discovery, research, and application of generated insights into science-enabled products and features. You will have exposure to senior leadership as we communicate results and provide scientific guidance to the business. This role will also collaborate with scientists across organizations to influence science roadmaps and disseminate research.
You will work with engineers to onboard data, lead and guide other scientists to perform scientifically rigorous insight discovery and research, and develop the right statistical and machine learning model-based solutions to deliver impact for builders. You will solve ambiguous problems, working with stakeholders to determine the right questions to ask and developing the strategy and roadmap for delivering results. Your will apply analytical abilities, business understanding, and technical expertise to identify specific and actionable opportunities to solve existing business problems and look around corners for future opportunities. Your will synthesize and communicate insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication to influence investment into builder experience improvements through data-backed solutions.
Key job responsibilities
• Lead large projects, requiring both business and technical domain knowledge, and drive solutions to complex or ambiguous problems.
• Shape the team’s business strategy and influence the strategies and science/research roadmaps of related teams.
• Create models and analyses that are actionable and easy for others to contribute to.
• Build new features and products that put science into the hands of customers through integration of solutions in software services.
• Recruit and help others leverage your expertise by mentoring.
• Review analyses of other scientists (both junior and senior) and provide feedback.
• Act as a role-model to enforce scientifically rigorous standards and make high judgement decisions to deliver results.
• Lead projects to improve data science and operational excellence best practices on team.
• Build models using Python, R, etc. (and ability to access data using Spark, SQL, or similar)
• Proficiently use at least one common data science language to develop models (Python, R, etc.) and process data (Spark, SQL, etc.).
• Utilize standard techniques and algorithms to deliver results while improving upon existing methodologies (and disseminating novel developments)
• Communicate verbally and in writing to business customers and leadership team with various levels of technical knowledge, educating them about our systems, as well as sharing insights and recommendations
About the team
The data science team in Builder Insights believes Are Right, A Lot means listening to diverse points of view and building a culture of inclusivity where every team member can contribute. It's only when we work together and include everyone that the best ideas can shine through, and that's when we have the most impact for our customers. You can let your Ownership shine on this team! - we wear different hats, getting involved with product strategy, building infrastructure, and everything in between. We have an innate desire to Learn & Be Curious and Dive Deep as engineers and scientists.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• MS + 4 yrs experience or BS + 8 yrs experience in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or other quantitative field.
• 4+ years of experience with querying languages (e.g. SAS, SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python, R), or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, Matlab, etc.)
• 4+ years of experience building statistical and/or machine learning problems with business application (e.g. segmentation, casual analysis, etc.)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to research, engineering teams and business audiences
· Mentoring peers and junior team members and providing rigorous technical feedback.
· Project management - ability to distill milestones and reliably scope them to meet deadlines.
· Superior verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to s, engineering teams and business audiences
· Proven ability to convey rigorous technical concepts and considerations to non-experts
· Natural curiosity and desire to learn
· Depth and breadth in knowledge. Excellent statistical analysis and/or modeling skills and problem-solving skills. Sophisticated user of statistical tools.
· Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy to interface with all levels and disciplines within our and our customer’s organizations.
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
· Experience with DevOps.
· Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.