The F3 (Fresh, Food, Fast) organization leads the innovation of Amazon’s ultra-fast grocery product initiatives including fresh groceries, household essentials, and its most popular products from Amazon.com. In this space Amazon aims to delight customers by delivering orders faster than ever before. With programs like Amazon Fresh and Prime Now, Prime members can now skip a trip to the store by shopping on the Amazon app and website for products like grocery staples, paper towels, shampoo, books, toys, batteries and more with orders delivered right to their door as quick as an hour.
The Grocery Management Science team in F3 is looking for a data scientist to help create and drive the long-term vision for how we manage selection of products for Fresh globally. As a data scientist, you will work with product managers, SDEs, vendor managers, business intelligence engineers, and other scientists to help the Fresh organization determine optimal selection in stores and online through modelling of key customer behavior such as substitutability/complementarity of products, expected demand, etc. You will be expected to own the development of modelling approach and validation work for your analysis products, working with SDEs to integrate the models into production systems.
A successful candidate will be able to partner effectively with both business and technical teams, including clear communication of results and the ability to influence a variety of stakeholders. They will be an expert in machine learning and have experience manipulating large data sets to scale models. The role with also include running experiments to validate developed approaches. Ability to scale models worldwide in an efficient manner is key.
Key job responsibilities
· Interact with engineering, operations, science and business teams to develop an understanding and domain knowledge of processes, system structures, and business requirements
· Develop scalable models to generate selection recommendations
· Create prototypes and simulations to test devised solutions
· Advocate technical solutions to business stakeholders, engineering teams, as well as executive-level decision makers
· Work closely with engineers to integrate prototypes into production system
· Evaluate performance of your developed solutions
· Master's degree in computer science, machine learning, statistics, engineering, mathematics, or a related quantitative field or equivalent experience.
· 2+ years of relevant experience applying machine learning or statistical techniques to solve real world problems (industry or academia)
· 2+ years hands-on experience in a high-level programming language (Python, Perl, Scala, Java, C#, C++ or other similar language)
· Ability to distill problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal business requirements; and to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with technical and business teams; ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience
· Expert in one or proficient in more than one major programming language (Mosel, AMPL, Python, C/C++/Java, SSJ, Matlab, Arena, etc.)
· Expertise in prototyping with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system
· Experience with data visualization software such as Tableau, Amazon Quicksight
· Experience with AWS technologies (SageMaker, Redshift, RDS, S3, EMR, etc.) and Hadoop ecosystems (Spark, MapReduce, YARN, Hive, etc.)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.