The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing in Pasadena, CA, is looking to hire a Principal Research Scientist with significant experience leading quantum devices related science programs. As a Principal Research Scientist, you will partner with senior leadership to develop long term strategic solutions and also work alongside quantum scientists, physicists and engineers. You will use your expertise to direct, mentor and do hands-on work that may include design, simulation, fabrication, build and testing of novel devices for quantum technologies.
We are looking for candidates with a track record of original scientific contributions with strong engineering principles, resourcefulness and a bias for action, superior problem solving, and excellent communication skills. Working effectively within a team environment is essential. As a research scientist you will be expected to work on new ideas and stay abreast of the field of experimental quantum information science.
The ideal candidate:
• Is entrepreneurial and innovative, and thrives on solving challenging, ambiguous problems by applying scientific
principles to solve problems
• Has built a strong followership, (e.g., a reputation for hiring and developing strong teams)
• Is adept at delivering short-term results while also building towards the future
• Can work fluently across the research, technical and business aspects of the job
• Excels at leadership and stakeholder management
About the team
At the AWS Center For Quantum Computing, we understand that developing quantum computing technology is a marathon, not a sprint. Mental and physical wellness is encouraged within our team and throughout AWS. The work/life integration within Amazon encourages a culture where employees work hard and have ownership over their downtime. We are exploring more structured wellness elements including meditation scheduling, running group meet-ups, and a culture of sharing wellness tips.
Mentorship and Career Growth
We are committed to the growth and development of every member of the Center for Quantum Computing. You will receive career-growth-minded management and mentorship from a software and science team and also have the opportunity to participate in Amazon's mentorship programs. You will work closely with quantum research scientists and have opportunities to learn about quantum computing technology and contribute to the development of scientific software for quantum computing at AWS.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
The AWS Center for Quantum Computing is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds to build a world class team. We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with their peers. With quantum computing being a new and growing initiative within AWS, you would have an opportunity to make an impact on our budding team culture.
• PhD in applied physics, physics, electrical engineering, or related field
• Proficiency in two or more of the following areas: device design, EM simulation techniques, simulating open quantum systems, electron-beam lithography, etching, deposition of superconducting films, scanning electron
microscopy, process integration, yield engineering, quality management, practical experience with cryogenic
hardware, dilution refrigerators, RF test equipment (e.g. vector network analyzers, spectrum analyzers,
• 10+ years of relevant academic research or industry experience
• Working knowledge of a scientific programming language for data analysis and automation (e.g. Python, and/or Julia)
• Strong background in quantum mechanics and quantum optics (e.g. in atomic, molecular and optical physics, superconducting circuits, or related fields)
• Superior communication and scientific data presentation skills
• 15+ years of relevant academic research or industry experience
• Exposure to quantum error correction protocols and fault tolerant quantum computation
• Broad and deep knowledge of superconducting qubits including circuit QED
• Major role in publications in quantum information science or related fields.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.