In this role, you will lead a team of Business Intelligence Engineers and Data scientists to build a suite of tools and analytical methodologies providing a view of the current performance (descriptive analytics), what the drivers are (diagnostic analytics), identify growth opportunities and early-stage trend (Predictive analytics), and how to capitalize on these to accelerate growth (prescriptive analytics). In particular, you will lead the analysis of potential and existing advertisers’ data to understand who Amazon Ads customers are, why and how they invest with us, and what makes them come back or drives them away.
You will communicate measurement results to stakeholders, and translate technical framework to business-recommendations to attract, retain, and develop customer’ engagement with Amazon Ads. Beyond this you will lead the team in developing and supporting best-in-class data science methodologies and building model to address ambiguous business questions and forecast the impact of demand initiatives for long term growth.
Key job responsibilities
• Manage a team of data scientists, and business intelligence engineer
• Translate business questions and concerns into specific analytical questions that can be answered with available data using statistical methods
• Apply Statistical and Machine Learning methods to specific business problems and data
• Communicate proposals and results in a clear manner backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions to drive business decisions
• Improve upon existing methodologies and implementing model enhancements
• Drive best practices on the team; mentor and guide junior members to achieve their career growth potential
You have a strong track record and end-to-end ownership of the full stack of data analysis (data engineering, ETL, data modelling/mining, and statistical/ML analysis).
You can extract insights from data and clearly communicate recommendations to leadership and stakeholders
You are a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment. You recognize that the true measure of the success of the work product is based on the business impact the findings have had.
Finally, you are experienced in hiring and leading experienced scientists as well as a successful record of developing junior members to a successful career track.
A day in the life
• Explore data to guide hypothesis tests and modelling
• Work with leadership, sales, product, and finance teams to understand the latest business developments
• Design and develop models, experiments design and analysis to drive key business and product decisions, including
• Combine expert knowledge of statistical methodologies and analysis with advanced programming skills to support complex analyses
• Improve upon existing methodologies by adding new data sources and implementing model enhancements.
• Drive best practices on the team; mentor and guide junior members to achieve their career growth potential.
About the team
Amazon Ads is the earth’s most customer centric advertising program, dedicated to driving measurable outcomes for brand advertisers, agencies, authors, and entrepreneurs. Our ad solutions leverage Amazon’s innovations and insights to find, attract, and engage intended audiences throughout their daily journeys.
The mission of Insights and Analytics team (part of global Business Operations) is to create value from Amazon data, enabling our stakeholders to make data driven decisions, and set direction to accelerate Ad revenue growth. We are a central team, supporting all countries where Amazon Ads operates.
• Master’s degree with 5 years relevant experience in a highly quantitative field (Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, etc.), or equivalent professional experience working as a Data Scientist.
• Proficient with using scripting language (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab), data manipulation/analysis libraries such as Scikit-learn and Pandas for analyzing and modelling data.
• Experienced in using multiple data science methodologies to solve complex business problems (e.g. statistical analysis, research science, machine learning and deep learning techniques, data modelling, regression modelling, financial analysis, demand modelling, etc.).
• Proven ability to communicate verbally and in writing to technical peers and leadership teams with various levels of technical knowledge, educating them about our systems, as well as sharing insights and data-driven recommendations.
• A PhD degree in a highly quantitative field (Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, etc.), or equivalent professional or military experience working as a Data Scientist.
• 5+ years of experience managing data scientists or similar roles.
• Advanced knowledge and expertise with Data modelling skills, Advanced SQL with Oracle, MySQL, Redshift and Columnar Databases.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT - 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial +44 800 086 9884 (tel:+448000869884). If calling from Ireland, please dial +353 1800 851 489 (tel:+3531800851489).