Ready to take on challenges at the leading edge of geopolitics and technology, and shape the future of security? Our team does this every day. We are looking for an adaptable and creative intelligence professional with European and/or Sub-Saharan African geopolitical risk and security expertise to join us.
This unique role within the security space combines the functions of strategic intelligence analyst, risk manager, and policy advisor. Our team leads internal efforts to understand, manage, and reduce risk to our cloud and physical infrastructure from the earliest stages of development. You’ll work independently and with customers and stakeholders on interesting and complex issues to solve problems on a global scale. You’ll provide deep analytic insights on a wide range of issues and develop innovative strategies to secure the cloud, supporting infrastructure, and other assets as AWS expands. Your contributions will be both low and high visibility within the company, and will have both immediate and longer-term impacts on the security and trust of our customers.
Ideal candidates will have consistently demonstrated the ability to conduct rigorous research and analysis on a variety of geopolitical and security issues; produce written analytic products that effectively support positive security outcomes; and communicate efficiently (both in writing and verbally) on complex topics, risks, and opportunities to mixed audiences (up to senior executive levels). Successful candidates will also have (and be able to demonstrate private sector infrastructure application of) threat vulnerability assessments, site security survey, and/or in-the-field area study skills. Though this is a non-technical role, you’ll grow your familiarity and acquire experience in a variety of cloud and related technical knowledge areas. While this is an individual contributor role, you’ll lead projects that cross multiple teams and business functions and will draw on various types of management skills. This role requires a collaborative, curious, self-aware individual that will lean in when faced with ambiguity and high judgment situations.
Key job responsibilities
* Maintain awareness of Europe, Middle East, and Africa area (emphasis on Sub-Saharan Africa), and global geopolitical and security factors; develop in-depth understanding of potential impacts to AWS
* Collect, organize, analyze, and evaluate a variety of internal and external data sources to produce strategic analysis
* Plan and execute field assessments within the Europe, Middle East, and Africa region; conduct on-location security surveys and threat vulnerability studies either as an individual or as a team leader
* Apply industry (intelligence, risk) techniques and best practices to draw analytic conclusions that provide decision advantage for business units and leaders at all levels (including senior executive / C-suite level)
* Evaluate risks associated with operating globally, deploying new technologies, and entering new locations by conducting rigorous assessments of geopolitical conditions and local security dynamics
* Create innovative approaches that effectively manage risks while meeting customer and business needs by developing holistic security strategies and establishing or maturing discrete, actionable mitigations
* Communicate intelligence analysis, risk assessments, and security guidance to diverse audiences effectively through written narratives, one-to-one conversations, and group discussions
* Ensure that the security bar is always met or raised by maintaining relationships with customers and stakeholders, integrating with partner teams to manage projects, and leading collective efforts to completion by deadlines
* Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Political Science, International Relations, Security Studies or related area of study; or 5+ years equivalent industry experience
* Expertise in geopolitical and security issues pertaining to one or more of the following geographic areas: Sub-Saharan Africa; Central and Eastern Europe; Southern Europe
* 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in the analysis of international security issues and global geopolitics; experience can be from intelligence community, military, private sector, or non-profit organizations
* Experience conducting and/or leading assessments in the field (site security surveys, threat vulnerability assessments, etc.)
* 3+ years of direct involvement with researching, analyzing, writing, editing, and publishing finished intelligence or security risk reports for customers and/or decision makers
* Experience applying structured analytic techniques and industry analytic standards in answering intelligence questions and/or other decision support product requests
* Experience assessing risk and developing discrete mitigations and broad strategies; familiarity with a variety of risk management methodologies and/or threat vulnerability assessment techniques
* Experience managing projects or programs (short and long-term); familiarity with project planning and project management techniques
* Advanced degree (master’s or doctorate) in the fields of international relations, political science, public policy, security studies, or other area of study directly applicable to the key job responsibilities
* 10+ years of progressively responsible industry experience in the analysis of international geopolitical and security issues, including the planning and execution of site security surveys and/or in-country security assessments
* 5+ years of experience in analysis focused on Sub-Saharan African geopolitical and security issues; strong understanding of Africa security issues within the global context
* Experience living or working within Europe or Africa, and/or proficiency with commonly spoken regional languages
* Strong understanding of risk management discipline; experience performing cyber, geopolitical or physical infrastructure risk assessments; and/or certifications, training, or coursework within the risk management field
* Experience developing courses of action and advising executive level leaders or non-experts on security policy; demonstrated ability to coordinate/translate between technical and non-technical teams
* Experience managing, building and/or implementing projects and programs at the enterprise level
* Knowledge of information systems, cloud services, information security, cybersecurity, or science and technology security; knowledge/familiarity can be from academic coursework, industry experience, or self-study
* Exceptional skills in communication (verbal and written); negotiation, influence, and/or data-driven advocacy; stakeholder management; multitasking and portfolio management; and leadership (especially leading without formal authority)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.