The Team: Amazon One is a fast, convenient, contactless way for people to use their palm to make everyday activities like paying at a store, presenting a loyalty card, entering a location like a stadium, or badging into work more effortless. The service is designed to be highly secure and uses custom-built algorithms and hardware to create a person’s unique palm signature. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, it uses a variety of technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earths’ most customer centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design.
The Role: Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that’s more startup than big company. We’ll need to tackle problems that span a variety of domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning, real-time and distributed systems.
If you have expertise leading AI and Computer Vision research initiatives and have a M.S/Ph.D, and 10+ years of industry experience and have:
- the ability to recognize and champion new ideas and novel solutions;
- the insight to correctly identify paths worth exploring;
- the discipline to fast-fail when data refutes theory;
- and the fortitude to continue exploring until your solution is found
You will be responsible for building and managing a team of scientists and developers who are experienced in taking an idea to reality – from prototype to a customer-facing product, their career development, as well as the road map definition and prioritization for the organization. You will be expected to be heavily entrepreneurial in style and be experienced to develop a business plan as well as dive deep in the scientific and technical details of the product your team is building.
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or Physics.
- 10+ years of experience in AI and CV in industry and/or academia.
- 3+ years of experience recruiting and managing PhD level Scientists, Researchers and Engineers from industry and/or academia.
- Strong skills in programming languages such as C/C++ and Python and commercializing computer vision, machine learning, or deep learning solutions
- Proven research science publication background with a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
- Strong record of delivery in industry and academic contexts, ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in working with edge-based computer vision/deep learning algorithms
- Experience managing software development engineers and scientists
- Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities. Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly.
- Scientific thinking and the ability to invent, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
- Solid software development experience
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.