The Amazon Robotics Infrastructure Engineering team is looking for a Network Development Engineer (NDE) to join our team. We build and operate the network and services that enable Amazon Fulfillment Centers, Middle and Last Mile facilities, including Air hubs, and PrimeNow to deliver packages to Amazon retail customers. From two million square foot automated robotics fulfillment centers to small last-mile delivery stations in emerging markets, these networks are the backbone of Amazon Operations. Hundreds of thousands of associates rely upon these networks at thousands of locations, and are critical to the delivery of shipments to Amazon retail customers.
Our mission is to design, deploy, and support networks that sets the global standard for performance, availability, security and cost, enabling Fulfillment and Logistic operations to deliver on time, every customer order. We are looking for a Network Development Engineer to create next-generation network products. The team is focused on automating networks from multiple diverse vendors, maximizing reliability while minimizing human touch in deployment and maintenance activities. We partner closely with IT support teams to ensure that simplicity in our product designs translate to supportability in the field. Information security rigor is at the core of everything we do. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. You should be comfortable with a high degree of ambiguity and relish the idea of solving problems that haven't been solved at scale before. It is expected that you will be technically fearless, while at the same time being balanced and pragmatic in your approach. Along the way, we guarantee that you will learn a lot and make a positive impact on millions of people.
The right candidate will have demonstrated experience leading large projects and have an expert level technical background in current networking technologies. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As a NDE, you will anticipate bottlenecks, influence external vendors and internal team roadmaps, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
As a NDE, you will be expected to:
· Write code for our most demanding, cross-functional networking projects.
· Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
· Fully and completely understand system inter-dependencies and limitations.
· Effectively research and benchmark Amazon technology against other competing systems in the industry.
· Contribute intellectual property through patents.
· Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
• A Masters Degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experience is mandatory.
• Excellent IP networking fundamentals and extensive experience in the application of IP protocols.
• Expertise with major internet routing protocols; specifically, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, RSVP and ISIS
• Expertise with major router platforms; specifically, a deep technical understanding of all internal hardware components and experience with router system design.
• Expert level network analysis fundamentals and robust troubleshooting skills; specifically, network performance analysis.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers is required.
• Candidates should have a minimum of 10 years of industry experience in a similar environment.
• Background with high availability, high performance compute, large-scale networks and network design and architecture is highly preferred
• Any software or automation skills a plus, Unix/Linux skills and the ability to code in in any of Python, Perl, Java, shell, C or C++ a plus
• Expertise with Computer Science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms and distributed system
• Demonstrated experience automating and managing networks (automated provisioning, remote configuration, traffic control, software defined networks etc.)
• Statistical analysis and data analytics experience.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.