Looking for a challenging and fun role in a new and growing part of Amazon? At Alexa Shopping, we strive to enable shopping in everyday life. We make it easy for customers to shop by interacting with Alexa on Amazon devices such as Show, Dot, Fire TV or on Amazon Shopping app on mobile or on any 3rd party device with an Alexa endpoint. Our Services allow you to shop, no matter where you are or what you are doing, you can go from 'I want that' to 'that's on the way' in a matter of seconds. We are seeking the industry's best to help us create new ways to interact, search and shop. Join us, and you'll be taking part in changing the future of everyday life. What you will do: You will lead a team of talented and experienced scientists and engineers that implement solutions to improve automated speech recognition (ASR) for Alexa Shopping customers. You will build a world class team, demonstrate thought-leadership and guide the team to make the right scientific or technical trade-offs to meet long term/short-term business needs. You will lead research and drive greenfield invention leading a team of data scientists and software engineers. You should be comfortable with ambiguity and enjoy working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. You will own: (1) Creating a road map of the most challenging business questions from product owners, program managers and senior leadership, and use data to find solutions. (2) Partnering with scientists across Shopping and Alexa to design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways to improve Shopping ASR. (3) Working with stakeholders and internal customer teams to solve business and technology problems to delight both internal stakeholder teams and Alexa end customers. (4) Creating systems and data pipelines to deliver solutions at Amazon scale.
And finally, you will have the satisfaction of being able to look back and say you were a key contributor to something special from its earliest stages. You will be working closely with executive leadership, multiple product managers and leaders from partner teams in Amazon Retail, Alexa, and Speech Recognition teams. What we are looking for: We are looking for a talented Data Science Manager with a strong technical background and solid people management skills to build, manage and develop a highly-talented and experienced data science team. We are seeking leaders that can guide technical and product innovation in the areas of voice experiences, machine learning models and the distributed systems to bring our vision together. Strong judgment and communication skills, long term technical vision, and continuous focus on engineering and operational excellence are essential for the success in this role.
Key job responsibilities
You will own:
(1) Creating a road map of the most challenging business questions from product owners, program managers and senior leadership, and use data to find solutions.
(2) Partnering with scientists across Shopping and Alexa to design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways to improve Shopping ASR.
(3) Working with stakeholders and internal customer teams to solve business and technology problems to delight both internal stakeholder teams and Alexa end customers.
(4) Creating systems and data pipelines to deliver solutions at Amazon scale.
(5) Growing and developing the careers of scientists and SDEs in the team.
A day in the life
You'll review KPIs for the business and the team and look for ways each day to improve them or to create new metrics and insights. Partner with Alexa ASR, Retail Search and Shopping CX owners to align goals, tech strategy and roadmaps. Guide your team to build new data science solutions, ML models and data pipelines.
About the team
The Shopping ASR team is a mix of data scientists and SDEs that own the charter of improving speech accuracy for all shopping customers across devices (Amazon App, Echo, Show) and experiences such as Purchasing, Your Account, Shopping Lists and Product Q&A. We work closely with Alexa ASR, Shopping NLU and Automated Metrics as well as teams in retail such as M5.
· Masters in quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
· Experience leading and launching ML projects.
· 8+ years of work experience in areas such as data analytics, data modeling, machine learning, search or personalization- related problems, and large scale simulation.
· Experience in managing and quantifying improvement in multiple business areas resulting from business analytics, optimization techniques, and/or statistical modeling.
· Demonstrated use of modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet engineering needs.
· 3+ years of direct people management experience including duties such as performance evaluation and career development.
· Experience as leader of a science team and developing junior members from academia/industry to a business environment
· Knowledge of various machine learning techniques and key parameters that affect their performance
· Knowledge of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc.
· A PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
· Experience with spoken language understanding systems.
· Demonstrated leadership abilities, especially with cross-disciplinary efforts.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Project management experience.
· Experience with data engineers or business analysts in Big Data analytics
· A good understanding of analysis of algorithms and computational complexity
· Expertise in prototyping and scripting languages (R, Perl or Python) with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system
· Proficiency in one or more languages other than English.
· Professional experience in software development (software design and development life cycle)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.