The Central Science Team within Amazon’s People Experience and Technology org (PXTCS) uses economics, behavioral science, statistics, and machine learning to proactively identify mechanisms and process improvements which simultaneously improve Amazon and the lives, well-being, and the value of work to Amazonians. We are an interdisciplinary team, which combines the talents of science and engineering to develop and deliver solutions that measurably achieve this goal.
As Director for PXT Central Science Technology, you will be responsible for leading multiple teams through rapidly evolving complex demands and define, develop, deliver and execute on our science roadmap and vision. You will provide thought leadership to scientists and engineers to invent and implement scalable machine learning recommendations and data driven algorithms supporting flexible UI frameworks. You will manage and be responsible for delivering some of our most strategic technical initiatives. You will design, develop and operate new, highly scalable software systems that support Amazon’s efforts to be Earth’s Best Employer and have a significant impact on Amazon’s commitment to our employees and communities where we both serve and employ 1.3 million Amazonians.
As Director of Applied Science, you will be part of the larger technical leadership community at Amazon. This community forms the backbone of the company, plays a critical role in the broad business planning, works closely with senior executives to develop business targets and resource requirements, influences our long-term technical and business strategy, helps hire and develop engineering leaders and developers, and ultimately enables us to deliver engineering innovations.
This role is posted for Arlington, VA, but we are flexible on location at many of our offices in the US and Canada.
• Advanced degree (e.g., M.S. or PhD) in computer science, statistics, engineering, mathematics or relevant discipline.
• Experienced leader of leaders, with 10+ years of experience managing multiple science and/or engineering teams.
• 10+ years of experience building and applying ML models to solve complex problems for large-scale applications.
• Experience with leadership of experienced scientists as well as a record of developing junior members from academia/industry to a career track in a business environment.
• Familiar with programming languages such as C/C++, Java, Perl or Python.
• Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within our customer’s organization.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to research scientists, engineering teams and business audiences.
• 8+ years of people management experience.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
• Experience implementing algorithms, tailored to particular business needs and tested on large data sets.
• Strong research track record.
• Practical experience developing large-scale decision support tools based on optimization technology for planning and execution support.
• Experience working on recommender systems or personalization within e-commerce, advertising, or other related fields.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.