The AWS Graviton Software team is looking for performance engineering focused Senior Manager of Software Development to drive the optimization of open source and internal applications.
Annapurna Labs, part of AWS, designed Graviton as a strategic initiative to improve how software works at Amazon scale. Graviton is an Arm-based CPU that delivers better performance, lower price, and lower carbon footprint over comparable x86-based instances. Amazon teams like RDS, ElastiCache, and EMR depend on Graviton's unique features, high performance, and lower overall cost to deliver products their customers love.
Key job responsibilities
- As a Sr Manager you will be responsible for leading a strong team of engineers and managers to innovate and deliver software that powers the world largest cloud provider.
- Work backwards from the customer to invent new solutions and to improve existing software.
- Work with the executive leadership and technical leaders to define the product direction.
- Create vision and execution documents. Insist on the high bar for technical documentation and the quality of the developed software.
- Hire, coach, and promote software engineers and managers.
- Ensure the right thing is being built and delivered to customers.
About the team
The Graviton Software organization ports, optimizes, and develops software to drive down the cost of adoption and operation for the AWS Graviton instances. We pro-actively improve and upstream open source software, including Linux kernel, operating system, compilers, libraries, and applications. We help internal and external customers to troubleshoot and fix performance bottlenecks that prevent them from using Graviton. We develop tools to automate most of the heavy lifting and maintain publicly available documentation: Graviton Developer Guide on GitHub.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years of engineering team management experience
- 3+ years of experience designing and developing software using languages like C++, Java, Python, Rust, or similar
- 2+ years experience managing managers
- Experience managing teams that develop highly scalable distributed systems
- Hands-on experience with computer architecture, Linux internals and performance tools
- Experience with Machine Learning or HPC
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.