Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
We are seeking an experienced Harnessing Engineer to join our Mechanical Engineering team.
Key job responsibilities
· Harnessing design for satellite system requiring interfacing across mechanical, electrical and payload design owners, trading various configurations to identify best overall solution for reliability, manufacturability, test, integration, and cost.
· Support make vs buy decisions, design reviews, and implement manufacturing and integration plans optimized for high rate production.
· Engage various component suppliers and Harnessing manufacturing vendors for component & assembly level qualification.
· Design/develop specifications and produce/procure power/data harnesses which meets electrical design requirements including current rating, targeted power loss, shielding, grounding and EMI/EMC.
· Define and perform/oversee harness qualification and acceptance tests for launch environments and operation through mission life, including test fixture fabrication for prototype evaluations, and deliver all development and flight hardware per vehicle schedules
· Create 3D CAD routings, 2D manufacturing drawings, schematics, and assembly installation drawings.
Export Control Requirement: Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
A day in the life
As a Harness Engineer, you will be working closely with all hardware sub-system and support teams on a daily basis. You will play an integral part of gathering requirements for harness development as well as providing critical input for successful integration of avionics hardware.
About the team
On the Harnessing Team, each member has the freedom to explore new ideas and explore their feasibility. Collaboration is critical to success and is always a high priority both within the team, as well as when working with other teams. While you are an individual contributor, it is still expected that each member takes ownership when needed. No job/task is beneath any member.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Redmond, WA, USA
· BS in mechanical, or electrical engineering or related discipline, or equivalent experience.
· 3+ years of experience in the design, development, test, qualification and acceptance tests, workmanship criteria and integration of spacecraft harnessing.
· 3+ years of experience with CAD routing tools
· 1+ years of experience in selection and qualification of components - connectors, backshells, wire, fiber, contacts, splices, solder, shielding, and coax products.
· 1+ years of experience in the selection of wiring based on current de-rating, voltage drop analysis, shielding effectiveness, temperature, environment, outgassing and mechanical strength.
· Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in mechanical, electrical, materials engineering or related field
· 3+ years experience working with external suppliers to develop/select components for spacecraft design or related industries.
· 1+ years experience working with harness manufacturing to support high rate production.
· Experience in developing mechanical harness routing solutions for dynamic applications including across articulated joints and hinged-line deployments.
· Siemens NX CAD, Team center PLM and MES systems
· Experienced with Issue tracking applications (JIRA, TRAC)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $93,900/year in our lowest geographic market up to $185,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.