Come join in leading the Devices' Offline Retail Tech team through a period of significant impact to the reseller experience, with high visibility, and material contribution to the bottom line for the Devices organization.
Want to change the way millions of people communicate, shop, and have fun? Want to help Amazon bring new products to customers covering everything from smart home devices, home monitoring, health and wellness, and net-new innovations to market?
The Amazon Devices team designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics, including the best-selling Kindle family of products. We have also produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Dash, and Amazon Echo.
What will you help us create?
We are looking for a talented, customer-obsessed Software Manager to take ownership of Devices Offline Retail Tech's Reverse Logistics team and drive innovation to expand our reach in supporting the growing offline channel worldwide. You will integrate new Devices subsidiaries into the Amazon Devices supply chain, expand our reach into new global regions, and own key Reverse Logistics components in our perpetual inventory system for offline retail. You will identify new opportunities to leverage our services to the benefit of emerging businesses from across Amazon, expanding the impact of our team as we become a multi-tenant solution for our unique capabilities. You'll lead development of new reseller-facing software products end to end while simultaneously managing the business of multiple existing resellers and business groups. This role will entail partnering closely with other software engineering teams, product and program managers, user experience designers, logistics, sales, accounting, finance, and customer service leaders as well as internal product stakeholders across the company (e.g., Echo Devices, Device Accessories, Ring, Eero, Blink, Private Label Brands, Amazon Business, Amazon Publishing, etc.).
The mental model is for this leader to be a technical evangelist (while demonstrating Ownership and Customer Obsession and understanding the broader business objectives), to fully leverage other teams where possible, and to justify additional engineering where there are remaining gaps. This role is a great fit for someone who thrives in a dynamic and complex environment, and who is sensitive to the diverse perspectives of stakeholders and works with them to resolve differences. We’re looking for customer experience-minded entrepreneurs who are passionate about innovating on behalf of customers and partners, demonstrate a high degree of technical product ownership, and want to have fun while making history. It is still Day 1 in the Devices business, and we need a creative problem-solver with exceptional judgment and the ability to deliver business results under ambiguous circumstances and tight timelines.
The candidate has a passion for the customer experience, Alexa, and consumer electronics development, combined with an established track record delivering growth and customer acquisition for technical products.
This position is based in Guadalajara.
Key job responsibilities
- You will manage a two-pizza team with engineers mostly in Denver but distributed throughout the US and GDL
- You will be responsible for hiring SDEs to fill available headcount
- You will lead the Bender team which is responsible for Reverse Logistics for Devices' Offline Retail
- You will work with stakeholders, leaders and your team to prioritize project work, and deliver impactful software which supports the Devices business
- You will own and maintain a number of AWS service, and be responsible for supporting Reverse Logistics use cases using an on call rotation for your team
- You will work with other SDMs to help set the long term direction of the overall Offline Retail Tech team
A day in the life
Our team owns Amazon Devices perpetual inventory systems for the offline retail channel. We work with reseller and stakeholder facing products that are leveraged for initiatives that directly impact Devices goals of increasing device sales around the world. As a leader on the team, you will spend your time managing an engineering team and acting as a technical leader. You will play a key role in guiding the development of software products and features from the ground up. Your team will use a wide range of technologies, programming languages and systems. You will work with Product Managers, Accounting, Finance, Sales and Logistics partners to prioritize and execute projects which provide impactful results for the Devices Offline Retail business. You will be given the freedom and inspiration to explore your own ideas and the reward of seeing your contributions benefit millions of Amazon customers and partners worldwide.
If you are ready to truly make an impact on products that are used by millions of people around the world, then we would love to talk to you.
About the team
You will be part of the Devices Offline Retail Tech team that has grown from two to four teams in three years and is expanding areas of impact across the Devices organization. You will manage and grow the Bender team in the offline retail reverse logistics space which is responsible for managing reseller returns, and expanding impact to support end customer returns as well. You will help define and deliver a technical strategy and vision that requires large scale solutions, solving ambiguous customer journey’s and setting up new mechanisms, all providing high customer impact, immense career growth and job satisfaction with a healthy work-life balance. You will contribute or develop deep expertise in the areas of distributed systems, SDK, app development (React native & Typescript), backend services (Native AWS), data storage and data pipelines. The team manager will be responsible towards having a cross-team impact, influence, and scope to next level. Your initiatives will include key org-level goals having visibility and reporting to executive leadership on a regular basis.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Guadalajara, JAL, MEX
- 3+ years of engineering team management experience
- 7+ years of engineering experience
- 8+ years of leading the definition and development of multi tier web services experience
- Knowledge of engineering practices and patterns for the full software/hardware/networks development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, certification, and livesite operations
- Experience partnering with product or program management teams
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior leadership to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience in recruiting, hiring, mentoring/coaching and managing teams of Software Engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers