We’re working to improve shopping on Amazon using the conversational capabilities of large language models, and are searching for pioneers who are passionate about technology, innovation, and customer experience, and are ready to make a lasting impact on the industry. You'll be working with talented scientists, engineers, and technical program managers to innovate on behalf of our customers. If you're fired up about being part of a dynamic, driven team, then this is your moment to join us on this exciting journey!
Key job responsibilities
We’re looking for a Senior Principal Applied Scientist to join at the very start of this new shopping experience to delight our customers. The leader will build and grow this team of Applied Scientists and guide this top talent to push the boundary of Science and next generation of product. They will lead the technical implementation of our evidence based retrieval sub-system that ingests, indexes and retrieves relevant data in different forms and from multiple sources given the customer question and context.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Palo Alto, CA, USA | Seattle, WA, USA
- MS/PhD Degree in computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering or related field
- 10+ years of industrial/academic experience in deep learning, machine learning or a related field
- Experience working on recommender systems or personalization within search, e-commerce, shopping, advertising, or other related fields.
- Experience leading experienced scientists as well as a record of developing research and engineering talent
- Working with academics to a career track in a business environment
- Strong judgement ability and decision making skills
- Strong business and technical vision
- Strong research track record
- Experience implementing machine learning algorithms, modeling and optimization techniques tailored and tested on large data sets
- Knowledge in Deep learning, Large Language Models, Generative Pre-trained Transformer, Generative AI, Multimodal, NLP, Dialogue understanding or human feedback based reinforcement learning.
- Familiar with programming languages such as C/C++, Java, Perl or Python
- Experience in developing applications that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Publication record in top conferences
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Skills to influence Cross functional teams
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $240,100/year in our lowest geographic market up to $350,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.