We are seeking an energetic Data Center Area Manager to serve as a technical resource and leader within Amazon data centers. The position will help ensure overall availability and reliability to meet or exceed defined service levels of data center operations. The Data Center Area Manager is responsible for the overall operation and maintenance of all electrical, mechanical, and HVAC equipment within the data center. The Data Center Area Manager will assist in maintaining a high reliability and performance while keeping operating costs in facilities at a minimum. This equipment supports mission-critical servers and must maintain better than 99.999% uptime.
This role acts as Amazon’s front line when it comes to hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting. They will maintain, operate, and troubleshoot mission-critical data center facility equipment including electrical support equipment such as stand-by diesel generators and related fuel systems, 3 phase electrical systems that include but not limited to switchgear, UPS units, PDUs, and wet cell batteries and associated systems. Mechanical equipment includes CRAC units, centrifugal chillers, cooling towers/water chemical system, air handlers and associated systems, pumps, and motors. Additional support equipment is included in the scope of the role which includes fire suppression systems, building automation systems, and general facilities equipment.
- Oversee all aspects of the data center's critical physical infrastructure. Ensure that all work performed within the space is done to high quality and without impact to internal/external customers
- Manage teams of 24x7 engineering technicians in all facets of their career
- Engage in improvement projects, often requiring reaching out to a variety of support teams, and drive them from conception to completion
- Coordinates daily with a multitude of third party vendors ensuring adherence to contracted SLAs
- Effectively and efficiently manage the operations budget and expenditures
- Routinely operate as the afterhours on-call Data Center Area Manager for the data centers in the region. This will include responding to any issues within the data centers and managing the investigation, mitigation, and recovery of the issue(s)
· Walk jobsites in uneven terrain.
· Work at heights and from ladders.
· Regularly walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or craw.
· Regularly lift and/or move up to 49 pounds; and participate in group lifts for 50 pounds or more.
· Carry objects weighing up to 49 pounds for short distances
· Work shifts longer than eight hours in duration.
· Respond to off hour emergency calls.
· Maintain balance and perform construction tasks while on a ladder
· Coordinate body movements when using tools or equipment
· Reach and stretch to position equipment and fixtures while maintaining balance
· Bend or twist the body into unusual positions while working
· Perform physical tasks all day without becoming overly tired
· Use hands to manipulate small wires and objects
· Apply muscular force quickly to objects and equipment
· Push or pull heavy objects into position
· Work in a noisy environment
· Work at depths, such as under raised floors
- This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and must possess and maintain an active Top Secret security clearance.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Phoenix, AZ, USA
- Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant engineering discipline, or relevant experience.
- 5+ years of experience working in data centers with an emphasis on building and equipment operation
- 3+ years of experience in a management position with 5 or more direct reports
- An excellent understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems involved in critical data center operations including systems such as feeders, transformers, generators, switchgear, UPS systems, ATS units, PDU units, chillers, pumps, air handling units, and CRAC units
- Proven track record of people management and developing teams
- Ability to solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
- Has a strong aptitude for trouble shooting and problem solving
- Ability to maintain SLAs through the implementation of proactive issue detection and reporting
- Ability to follow accurate and complete support procedures, system documentation, and issue tracking entries
- Shows good judgment and instincts in decision making
- Ability to prioritize in complex, fast-paced environment
- Proactively and continually improve your level of knowledge about Amazon business and relevant technologies
- Able to demonstrate their ability to take ownership of technical issues brought to them by their customer base. If they are unable to resolve certain issues by themselves, can demonstrate a willingness to actively engage other support teams to drive it to resolution.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud
platform. We pioneered cloud computing and never stopped innovating — that’s why customers
from the most successful startups to Global 500 companies trust our robust suite of products and
services to power their businesses.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, it’s in our nature to learn and be curious. Our employee-led affinity groups
foster a culture of inclusion that empower us to be proud of our differences. Ongoing
events and learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity
(CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences, inspire us to never stop
celebrating our uniqueness.
This team supports 24/7 systems in a classified environment, and periodic on-call duties
with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs will be required.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We have a career path for you no matter what stage you’re in when you start here. As we
strive to become Earth’s Best Employer, we know we must continuously raise our
performance bar. That’s why you’ll find endless knowledge-sharing, mentorship and
other career-advancing resources here to help you develop into a better-rounded
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.