Amazon is the 4th most popular site in the US (http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/US). Our product search engine is one of the most heavily used services in the world, indexes billions of products, and serves hundreds of millions of customers world-wide. We are working on a new AI-first initiative to re-architect and reinvent the way we do search through the use of extremely large scale next-generation deep learning techniques. Our goal is to make step function improvements in the use of advanced Machine Learning (ML) on very large scale datasets, specifically through the use of aggressive systems engineering and hardware accelerators. This is a rare opportunity to develop cutting edge ML solutions and apply them to a problem of this magnitude. Some exciting questions that we expect to answer over the next few years include:
- Can a focus on compilers and custom hardware help us accelerate model training and reduce hardware costs?
- Can combining supervised multi-task training with unsupervised training help us to improve model accuracy?
- Can we transfer our knowledge of the customer to every language and every locale ? The Amazon Search Science team is looking for an experienced Sr Technical Program Manager (TPM), possessing a unique balance of business acumen, technology depth, and strong interpersonal skills. As a key member of the team, the Senior TPM will own the success of the ML program, including developing and managing the partner relationships to expand the impact of the program. The ideal candidate is a creative, demonstrated leader with excellent technical, problem-solving, and communication skills. This candidate should possess verifiable leadership qualities including being proactive, thoughtful, thorough, decisive, and flexible, conducting themselves professionally and with integrity at all times. You must know how to influence and motivate to get the right things done. At the core of the position is delivery. You will have a working knowledge of Machine Learning and software development processes and thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
As a Sr. Technical Program Manager, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. You will have an ability to take large, complex programs and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional and technical user stories, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical thinking and leadership are essential to success in this role.In this role, you will: · own the success of the ML program, including developing and managing the partner relationships to expand the impact of the program
-Lead planning, execution and delivery of projects across multiple teams, i.e. break down ambiguous science and engineering goals into manageable milestones, write functional specifications, create system design, solve complex technical problems, interface with multiple teams, and deliver solutions in a successful, agile, and timely manner
· Own communication for delivery across these projects with senior leadership and across partner organizations, own review documents, newsletters, wiki page development etc.
· Anticipate bottlenecks and balance business needs versus technical constraints to move these projects forward quickly
· Manage resource allocation for all projects across all technical teams and keep the overall program roadmap balanced. Prioritize investments in partnership with Scientists, Engineers and Business Stakeholders.
A successful candidate will bring deep technical, Machine Learning and software expertise, strong project management skills, good judgment and desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact.
- 7+ years of working directly with engineering teams experience
- 5+ years of technical product or program management experience
- 3+ years of software development experience
- 5+ years of technical program management working directly with software engineering teams experience
- Experience managing programs across cross functional teams, building processes and coordinating release schedules
- 5+ years of project management disciplines including scope, schedule, budget, quality, along with risk and critical path management experience
- Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
- Experience defining KPI's/SLA's used to drive multi-million dollar businesses and reporting to senior leadership
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $119,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $231,400/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.