The Central Science Team within Amazon’s People Experience and Technology org (PXTCS) uses economics, behavioral science, statistics, and machine learning to proactively identify mechanisms and process improvements which simultaneously improve Amazon and the lives, well-being, and the value of work to Amazonians. We are an interdisciplinary team, which combines the talents of science and engineering to develop and deliver solutions that measurably achieve this goal.
We are looking for a Senior Economics Manager who is able to provide structure around complex business problems, hone those complex problems into specific, scientific questions, and test those questions to generate insights. The ideal candidate will work with various science, engineering, operations, and analytics teams to estimate models and algorithms on large scale data, design pilots and measure their impact, and transform successful prototypes into improved policies and programs at scale. They will lead teams of researchers to produce robust, objective research results and insights which can be communicated to a broad audience inside and outside of Amazon.
Ideal candidates will work closely with business partners to develop science that solves the most important business challenges. They will work well in a team setting with individuals from diverse disciplines and backgrounds. They will serve as an ambassador for science and a scientific resource for business teams, so that scientific processes permeate throughout the HR organization to the benefit of Amazonians and Amazon. Ideal candidates will own the development of scientific models and manage the data analysis, modeling, and experimentation that is necessary for estimating and validating models. They will be customer-centric – clearly communicating scientific approaches and findings to business leaders, listening to and incorporate their feedback, and delivering successful scientific solutions.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Washington, DC, USA
- PhD in economics, statistics, quantitative marketing, or related field.
- 10+ years of professional experience working with large data sets, understanding of statistical analysis, modeling techniques, data mining and business and/or public policy analysis.
- Proven track record in research and solution of business problems, leveraging techniques from economics or related disciplines.
- Demonstrable experience in any of the following areas of applied economics (multiple areas preferred): reduced-form causal analysis, predictive modeling and causal ML algorithms, forecasting, hazard models, health and insurance economics, education economics, labor economics, and behavioral economics, designing and administering large-scale social science surveys.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team of economists and data scientists to deliver high quality research results on time.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research to clients in business and/or public policy.
- Strong publication and presentation record in top-tier economic, public policy, statistical, or ML publications and conferences.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with technical, business, and public policy people, and ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.