Amazon is committed to exceeding customer expectations. In the Returns and Recommerce organization, we seek to improve customer satisfaction with the items they buy on Amazon, provide new value for our customers, and reduce costs to drive the holistic business flywheel. We are looking for a dynamic, resourceful, and organized Economist to join the Returns and Recommerce organization to develop new, data-driven solutions to support the most critical components of this rapidly scaling team.
The Amazon R&R team has an opening for applied micro, empirical IO, and time series and forecasting with demonstrated industry, policy, or academic experience. You will apply economic theory to build econometric models, and prototype and put into production scalable implementations in partnership with technical teams, using Amazon’s world class data systems. You will be expected to be a thought leader as we chart new courses with our customer delivery support technologies. Successful candidates will have a deep knowledge of quantitative modelling in at least one area (ML, forecasting/time series, optimization, causal modeling), the ability to build and refine models that can be implemented in production, the communication skills necessary to explain complex technical approaches to a variety of stakeholders and customers, and the excitement to take iterative approaches to tackle big, long-term problems.
Economists at Amazon will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, address quantitative problems, and contribute to design of automated systems around the company. The economics community at Amazon has grown tremendously in the past few years – economists in Amazon R&R partner with economists company-wide to tackle some of the hardest problems at Amazon.
As part of the R&R organization, you’ll partner closely with Science, Product, Tech, and Program teams to design innovative solutions to organizational and business problems, communicating highly complex findings to multiple audiences. The ability to understand and measure policy effects and then integrate them into downstream optimization systems is a highly valuable asset. You may come from any one of a variety of econometric backgrounds, but you must be comfortable with multiple modeling techniques, be able to acquire new techniques with practice, and be willing to show flexibility in finding the right technique to match the research problem. Our economists will be comfortable with both ambiguity and autonomy, and excel at investigative analyses.
Key job responsibilities
- Conceptualize and lead global research initiatives in the Returns and Recommerce space
- Guide the technical approach for the design and implementation of successful models and algorithms in support of expert cross-functional teams delivering on demanding projects
- Conduct, direct, and coordinate all phases of research projects, demonstrating skill in all stages of the analysis process, including defining key research questions, recommending measures, working with multiple data sources, evaluating methodology and design, executing analysis plans, interpreting and communicating results
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Bellevue, WA, USA
- PhD in economics or equivalent
- Experience in econometrics (e.g., program evaluation, forecasting, time series, panel data, or high dimensional problems), economic theory, and quantitative methods
- Knowledge of Python or R
- Experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (hundreds of millions/billions of rows) of data
- 5 years of experience in Economist related field.
- Experience in analytics and applied economics
- Experience in developing and executing an analytic vision to solve business-relevant problems
- Experience in building statistical models using R, Python, STATA, or a related software
- Experience in industry, consulting, government or academic research
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $127,300/year in our lowest geographic market up to $247,600/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.