Network Development Engineer
Amazon Web Services provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world. To meet the growing demand for AWS Services around the globe, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people.
Amazon’s network is a key differentiator for Amazon Cloud Computing and Web Services (AWS), enabling the global operation of thousands of applications across hundreds of thousands of servers worldwide. As our regions continue to grow, we are looking for a Network Development Engineer to execute and deliver a large program for one of our largest strategic partners in the UK.
The pace, scale, and growth of Amazon’s data center platform will challenge you. Our uncompromisingly high standards and rapid innovation on behalf of our customers will push you to new levels of creativity. At this level, Amazon is unique in that we seek experienced senior leaders who have evolved to be highly strategic in their approach to managing their business unit, yet understand how to lead large teams by example who will not hesitate to roll up their sleeves when tactical needs dictate it. So, if you are customer obsessed, and are looking for a fun and challenging environment, we would love to hear from you.
Do you like helping organisations implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
Amazon is seeking a Network Development Engineer with the ability to automate day to day tasks and develop/build software and/or services from the ground up. The Network Development team drives engineering, implementation, scalability, operations, reliability, and sustainability of these next-generation networks and works on innovative ways to automate and scale our network as we expand. A good candidate must have strong Networking and System Administration knowledge, including shell scripting, and a proficiency in at least one development language or a strong understanding of Linux/Unix. They must be able to think at “Amazon scale” to solve problems in permanent, sustainable, and scalable ways, with an eye towards utilizing the best solution over the quickest solution.
Key job responsibilities
The ideal candidate will be expected to work across the end to end process (design, engineering, implementations, operations and escalation) of our current and newly developing networks. They will aid the engineering and evolution of highly available networks and work closely with our software developers to automate network deployment and operations. They will have a proven track record of success in driving complex issues to resolution autonomously and/or collaboratively. A love for working with new technologies and pushing the envelope on existing technology is required.
This is an excellent opportunity to join Amazon’s world class technical teams, working with some of the best and brightest engineers while also developing your skills and furthering your career within one of the most innovative and progressive technology companies anywhere.
In this role you will have the opportunity to:
- Work on network projects in the areas of network sustaining engineering, network deployment/implementation, network scaling, technology refresh, best practices application, and/or network optimization.
- Work closely with our software developers to automate network deployment and operations
- Maintain Amazon Web Services’ next generation networks for significant AWS customers by providing critical network support to diagnose, mitigate impact, and resolve large-scale networking events.
- Troubleshoot network routing, interconnectivity, platforms, performance, and configurations issues; including necessary low level application interaction, Unix systems, and new age networking software tools.
- Work closely with our Network/Systems/Software Engineering teams to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products, as well as assist with deployment and sustaining of networking software tools.
- Maintain standards across the networking toolset and ensure that we are fully compliant to those standards and policies.
- Deliver simple, sustainable and repeatable solutions and processes.
- Collaborate with highest tier escalation engineers/resolvers.
- Create and review documentation and process regarding network implementation/deployments, recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
- Must be able to work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs.
- Travel to data centre/network sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
- Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
About the team
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
London, GBR | Thames Valley, POST-BER, GBR
- A relevant degree in a related technical discipline or equivalent experience in a large – scale network environment.
- Experience in a network focused hands-on technical role working with routing protocols/technologies and platforms in large scale data centre and/or WAN network environments.
- Knowledge & experience of Linux or other Unix operating systems
- Proficiency in scripting/programming with one or more of Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.
- Experience in a technical on-call capacity, responding to customer impacting events, mitigating and root cause analysis of those events.
- Experience developing engineering, deployment, or operations mechanisms to support IP network and/or networking systems.
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP networking, IP routing, Server Load Balancing, and Network Security architecture and core technologies such as IP, TCP, OSPF/IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, Server Load Balancers, Firewalls, ACLs, DNS, DHCP, IPAM, LDAP, NFS, etc.
- Strong desire to build, ability to multitask, sense of ownership and urgency.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and DevOps environments.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT - 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial +44 800 086 9884 (tel:+448000869884). If calling from Ireland, please dial +353 1800 851 489 (tel:+3531800851489).