The AWS Global Connectivity and Network Availability (GCNA) Organization is looking for a Network Development Engineer to join our Backbone Enterprise, and Regional Engineering (BERE) team. Network Development Engineers partner with our broader Infrastructure organization on configurations standards and tools, and collaborate with Systems and Software Engineers to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products, and also deploy and sustain networking software tools.
AWS GCNA is the backbone that connects the global AWS network and focuses on controlling the internet traffic that allows users to access their information and applications regardless of where they are in the world. GCNA is responsible for building and designing a complex backbone network that allows internet traffic to flow efficiently between data centers and customers.
If you like to work with new technologies, optimizing existing technology, and have experience participating in network/systems support for a large-scale enterprise or service provider environment, we would like to meet you. Your work will play a key role in driving the stability and sustainability of next-generation IP networks.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform. We pioneered cloud computing and never stopped innovating — that’s why customers from the most successful startups to Global 500 companies trust our robust suite of products and services to power their businesses.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, it’s in our nature to learn and be curious. Our employee-led affinity groups foster a culture of inclusion that empowers us to be proud of our differences. Ongoing events and learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences, inspire us to never stop embracing our uniqueness.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. We not only celebrate the diversity of our workforce, we celebrate the diverse ways we work. If you would like to request an accommodation for the interview or onboarding process, please let us know and we will connect you to our accommodation team. You may also reach them directly by visiting https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Mentorship and Career growth
We’re continuously raising our performance bar as we strive to become Earth’s Best Employer. That’s why you’ll find endless knowledge-sharing, mentorship, and other career-advancing resources here to help you develop into a better-rounded professional.
Key job responsibilities
Network Development Engineers perform high quality network and/or systems operations, deployments, scaling, technology refresh, sustaining engineering, best practices application, optimization, internal/external customer interactions, and produce appropriate technical documentation.
• Create and implement changes on the network.
• Work closely with our automation teams in defining the tools that allows us to scale at higher volume.
• Lead network projects in the areas of network sustaining engineering, network deployment/implementation, network scaling, technology refresh, best practices application, and/or network optimization.
• Sustain Amazon Web Services’ next generation networks for significant AWS customers by providing critical network support to diagnose, mitigate impact, and resolve large-scale networking events.
• Operate and troubleshoot network routing, interconnectivity, platforms, performance, and configurations issues; including necessary low-level application interaction, Unix systems, and new age networking software tools.
• Drive and support innovation from Top of Rack to the Network Border, and everything in between.
• Partner with our broader Network/Infrastructure organization in the areas of network engineering, configurations standards, and tools.
• Work closely with our Network/Systems/Software Engineering teams to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products, as well as, assist with deployment and sustaining of networking software tools.
• Maintain standards across the networking toolset and ensure that we are fully compliant to those standards and policies.
• Deliver simple, sustainable, and repeatable solutions and processes.
• Collaborate with the highest tier escalation engineers/resolvers.
• Create and review documentation and process regarding network. implementation/deployments, recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
A day in the life
Engineers in the BERE organization have a wide range of responsibilities: we work with internal partners to develop and implement the next gen platforms along with the tooling ecosystems to support these platforms driving efficiency and scalability through the automation of builds, configuration deployment, and the scaling of capacity. Because network is one of the largest in the world, there is no blue print at our scale allowing our engineers to develop solutions to the complex challenges that we face daily. We encourage durable solutions that look around corners while taking into consideration our customer needs from a cost, performance, and reliability perspective. Our team develops tooling that provides the required visibility and control of traffic across the network, while prioritizing the automatic mitigation of events to minimize the impact to our customers during events.
• Work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs.
• Manage customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
• Sit at the computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
• Travel to data center/network sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
About the team
Within AWS Networking, the Backbone Enterprise, and Regional Engineering (BERE) organization is
responsible for the design, implementation, and operations of a wide array of networking infrastructure
that provide global connectivity between all AWS Regions and edge locations.
BERE provides the massive scale required to support our AWS customers and internal services, via a
network that grows by 70% annually. In addition, they have teams that are responsible for the design
and operation of our global corporate office and data center network, allowing tens of thousands of
Amazonians to perform their daily tasks in support of our customers.
Working at AWS the GCNA Team - Meet Robert, VP: https://youtu.be/8v5i42FL02w
Working at AWS the GCNA Team - Meet Orlando, Principal Network Development Engineer: https://youtu.be/9-uXNw76DsA
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Seattle, WA, USA
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline or equivalent experience in a large–scale network environment.
- 4+ years of experience in a network focused hands-on technical role working with IP routing protocols/technologies and platforms in large scale data center and/or WAN network environments.
- 4+ years of experience developing engineering, deployment, or operations mechanisms to support IP network and/or networking systems.
- 4+ years of experience in a technical on-call capacity, responding to customer impacting events, mitigating and root cause analysis of those events.
- 1+ years of experience in automation via Bash/shell scripting and Perl/Python programming.
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP networking, IP routing, Server Load Balancing, and Network Security architecture and core technologies such as IP, TCP, OSPF/IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, Server Load Balancers, Firewalls, ACLs, DNS, DHCP, IPAM, LDAP, NFS, etc.
- Experience with one or more of the following router, server load balancer, and firewall vendor platforms: Cisco, Juniper, Alcatel-Lucent, Arista, Brocade, Extreme, Citrix, F5, Fortinet, Palo Alto, etc.
- Knowledge of network hardware and packet forwarding architectures.
- Experience working in virtualized enterprise networking environments.
- Software development/programming.
- Must be comfortable working in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Ability to work in and keep up with a fast-moving environment via effective prioritization and time management.
- A relevant degree in a related technical discipline or equivalent experience in a large – scale network environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $113,200/year in our lowest geographic market up to $212,800/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.