Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon's fastest growing and most profitable businesses, responsible for defining and delivering a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products and solutions are strategically important to enable our Retail and Marketplace businesses to drive long-term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks and break fresh ground in product and technical innovations every day!
Amazon's Global Creative Success (GCS) team drives advertiser success on and off Amazon through creative effectiveness, ad policy, and retail expertise. GCS provides creative strategy and tactical advice on making online advertising more enjoyable, engaging, and performant. By using computer vision, natural language processing, statistics, and machine learning we create data-driven recommendations for our thousands of advertisers across the globe.
As a Data Scientist on this team, you will:
- Solve real-world problems by getting and analyzing large amounts of data, diving deep to identify business insights and opportunities, design simulations and experiments, developing statistical and ML models by tailoring to business needs, and collaborating with Scientists, Engineers, BIE's, and Product Managers.
- Write code (Python, R, Scala, SQL, etc.) to obtain, manipulate, and analyze data
- Apply statistical and machine learning knowledge to specific business problems and data.
- Drive end-to-end Machine Learning projects that have a high degree of ambiguity, scale, complexity.
- Run A/B experiments, gather data, and perform statistical analysis.
- Retrieve, synthesize, and present critical data in a format that is immediately useful to answering specific questions or improving system performance.
- Analyze historical data to identify trends and support optimal decision making.
- Formalize assumptions about how our systems are expected to work, create statistical definition of the outlier, and develop methods to systematically identify outliers. Work out why such examples are outliers and define if any actions needed.
- Given anecdotes about anomalies or generate automatic scripts to define anomalies, deep dive to explain why they happen, and identify fixes.
- Conduct written and verbal presentations to share insights to audiences of varying levels of technical sophistication.
Why you will love this opportunity: Amazon has invested heavily in building a world-class advertising business. This team defines and delivers a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our solutions generate billions in revenue and drive long-term growth for Amazon’s Retail and Marketplace businesses. We deliver billions of ad impressions, millions of clicks daily, and break fresh ground to create world-class products. We are a highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit - with a broad mandate to experiment and innovate.
Impact and Career Growth: You will invent new experiences and influence customer-facing shopping experiences to help suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising; this is your opportunity to work within the fastest-growing businesses across all of Amazon! Define a long-term science vision for our advertising business, driven from our customers' needs, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams. This role combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus, and business understanding.
Team video https://youtu.be/zD_6Lzw8raE
A day in the life
As part of this team you will develop unique insights to help Advertisers build performant ad creative. You will work with a unique dataset of unstructured audiovisual data, combined with more than a billion structured data points per day. Your work will be immediately customer-facing and you will impact the scientific, engineering, and business direction of the organization.
About the team
As Data Scientist in Creative Intelligence team, you will use computer vision, natural language processing, statistics, and machine learning to make online ads more pleasing to our customers. Starting from image, video, and audio files, combined with Amazon’s massive data repository, you will develop ML models on how to create more engaging ad content.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
New York, NY, USA | Seattle, WA, USA
- 2+ years of data scientist experience
- 3+ years of data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, Matlab, etc.) experience
- 3+ years of machine learning/statistical modeling data analysis tools and techniques, and parameters that affect their performance experience
- Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, data science, business analytics, economics, finance, engineering, or computer science
- Experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment
- Experience with data scripting languages (e.g. SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
- Experience in a ML or data scientist role with a large technology company
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $111,600/year in our lowest geographic market up to $212,800/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.