Amazon Web Services is looking for an experienced software development engineer to help define and build the future of cloud computing! This position is a developer role with an EC2 VPC team based in Herndon, VA.
Come join a team engineering core software supporting the massive AWS cloud. We are software engineers and systems development engineers that deliver some of the core EC2 network virtualization systems. The domain is networking, but it’s all about software. Our engineers work in everything from low-level kernel code in C, to userspace in C++, applications in Java and Scala, and automation in Ruby/Python/etc. Our services range from ones responsible for metering all network usage across AWS (billions of records per hour), to low level code delivering encrypted VPN connections, to large-scale web services allowing customers to reconfigure networks at their whim. We’re delivering “API defined networks” at scale. To learn more, check us out here: https://aws.amazon.com/vpc/. We are engaged in all parts of the software development lifecycle from defining to testing new features. We care about both delighting customers and building high quality software. We don't sacrifice one for the other.
This position involves on-call responsibilities typically for two weeks every 2-3 months. The first week is primary and the second week is secondary on-call. We don't like to get paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause to prevent pages for the same issues twice.
We believe good code reviews raise our code quality, grow our technical acumen and provide opportunities to support and share knowledge within the team. We are responsible for supporting our own code in production and we take our code reviews seriously and ship code every day.
A majority of our team has been together for more than two years, and we have developed a strong sense of team trust during that time. We value work life harmony, and support core working hours from 10am to 4pm Eastern. Some of the team starts early and the rest stay later. Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members and encourage curiosity. We are a team of mostly mid-level engineers who enjoy helping junior engineers grow through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We are looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated and reliable; someone who will help us build on the team culture we have been cultivating.
We offer comprehensive relocation and benefit packages!
Inclusive Team Culture
- Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences,
- including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
- Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to
- life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
- Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about
- your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future
Key job responsibilities
In this role, you will be part of a two-pizza team in an org of 40+ engineers. You will help establish technical direction, foster team culture, grow junior engineers and deliver exciting features to internal and external customers.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
San Jose, CA, USA
- 3+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 2+ years of non-internship design or architecture (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
- Experience programming with at least one software programming language
- 3+ years of full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
- Knowledge of professional software engineering & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, software architectures, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operational excellence
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience programming with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $115,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $223,600/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.