The AWS Global Connectivity and Network Availability (GCNA) Organization is looking for a Network Development Engineer to join our EDGE team. Network Development Engineers partner with our broader Infrastructure organization on configurations standards and tools, and collaborate with Systems and Software Engineers to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products, and also deploy and sustain networking software tools.
AWS GCNA is the backbone that connects the global AWS network and focuses on controlling the internet traffic that allows users to access their information and applications regardless of where they are in the world. GCNA is responsible for building and designing a complex backbone network that allows internet traffic to flow efficiently between data centers and customers.
If you like to work with new technologies and optimizing existing technology have experience participating in network/systems support for a large-scale enterprise or service provider environment, we would love for you to apply. Your work will play a key role in driving the stability and sustainability of next-generation IP networks.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform. We pioneered cloud computing and never stopped innovating — that’s why customers from the most successful startups to Global 500 companies trust our robust suite of products and services to power their businesses.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, it’s in our nature to learn and be curious. Our employee-led affinity groups foster a culture of inclusion that empowers us to be proud of our differences. Ongoing events and learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences, inspire us to never stop embracing our uniqueness.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. We not only celebrate the diversity of our workforce, we celebrate the diverse ways we work. If you would like to request an accommodation for the interview or onboarding process, please let us know and we will connect you to our accommodation team. You may also reach them directly by visiting https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
We value work-life harmony. Achieving success at work should never come at the expense of sacrifices at home, which is why flexible work hours and arrangements are part of our culture. When we feel supported in the workplace and at home, there’s nothing we can’t achieve in the cloud.
Mentorship and Career growth
We’re continuously raising our performance bar as we strive to become Earth’s Best Employer. That’s why you’ll find endless knowledge-sharing, mentorship, and other career-advancing resources here to help you develop into a better-rounded professional.
Key job responsibilities
Network Development Engineers perform high quality network and/or systems operations, deployments, scaling, technology refreshes, sustaining engineering, best practices application, optimization, internal/external customer interactions, and produce appropriate technical documentation.
• Create and implement changes on the network.
• Work closely with our automation teams in defining the tools that allow us to scale at higher volume.
• Lead network projects in the areas of network sustaining engineering, network deployment/implementation, network scaling, technology refresh, best practices application, and/or network optimization.
• Sustain Amazon Web Services’ next generation networks for significant AWS customers by providing critical network support to diagnose, mitigate impact, and resolve large-scale networking events.
• Operate and troubleshoot network routing, interconnectivity, platforms, performance, and configurations issues; including necessary low-level application interaction, Unix systems, and new age networking software tools.
• Drive and support innovation from Top of Rack to the Network Border, and everything in between.
• Partner with our broader Network/Infrastructure organization in the areas of network engineering, configurations standards, and tools.
• Work closely with our Network/Systems/Software Engineering teams to ensure fast, smooth roll-out of new designs and products, as well as, assist with the deployment and sustaining of networking software tools.
• Maintain standards across the networking toolset and ensure that we are fully compliant to those standards and policies.
• Deliver simple, sustainable, and repeatable solutions and processes.
• Collaborate with the highest tier escalation engineers/resolvers.
• Create and review documentation and process regarding network implementation/deployments, recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
A day in the life
Engineers in the Internet Edge organization have a wide range of responsibilities: we evolve routing policy, implement traffic engineering solutions, grow our peering footprint, secure the “front door” from bad actors on the Internet, and architect the hardware platforms and network design to support any Amazon product that needs to reach end-users worldwide. Our infrastructure moves terabits of traffic to and from the Internet at any given moment, and represents one of the largest edge surface areas in the world, requiring complex solutions to ensure that capacity always stays ahead of demand. To accomplish that, our engineers develop automation, write software, and work with a wide range of partner teams to continually improve and automate our Internet connectivity in areas such as capacity delivery, configuration deployment, impairment detection, and traffic optimization. Internet Edge engineers make decisions on both a day-to-day and long-term strategic basis, which carries a large amount of responsibility and impact across all of Amazon’s products.
• Work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs.
• Manage customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
• Sit at the computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
• Travel to data center/network sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
About the team
Internet Edge provides high-performing Internet connectivity for a wide range of use cases, such as retail (amazon.com), video streaming (Prime Video), content delivery (CloudFront), DNS (Route53), AWS services (such as EC2/S3), consumer devices (such as FireTV/Kindle/Echo), and more.
Within AWS Networking, the Internet Edge organization is responsible for connecting Amazon to the global Internet. With connections to thousands of unique external networks in hundreds of locations across the world, our mission is to deliver an Internet connectivity experience that sets the global standard for performance, availability, security, and cost, making Amazon the clear choice for our customers’ needs.
Working at AWS the GCNA Team - Meet Robert, VP: https://youtu.be/8v5i42FL02w
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Seattle, WA, USA
- 4+ years of major internet routing protocols experience
- 4+ years of working in a Linux/Unix environment experience
- 1+ years of automation scripting using Python, Bash, Shell and/or Perl experience
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP networking, IP routing, Server Load Balancing, and Network Security architecture and core technologies such as IP, TCP, OSPF/IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, Server Load Balancers, Firewalls, ACLs, DNS, DHCP, IPAM, LDAP, NFS, etc.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $113,200/year in our lowest geographic market up to $212,800/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.