Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
Product Design (PD) strives to constantly raise the bar on the customer experience. Product Design Engineers engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary team to conceive, design and bring to market innovative consumer products for the Kuiper program. Key responsibilities include mechanical part and assembly design, testing, evaluating, and down selection. These positions identify key design attributes, and work quickly and efficiently to converge on an electromechanical design for the system. They highlight concerning issues to leadership and provide recommendations on how to revolve them. The output of their work is the physical product. They know intimately the rationale and tradeoffs behind each and every detail of the design from material selection, a reinforcing rib, a molding gate, etc. They work with manufacturing partners early to scale their designs for high volume manufacturing while optimizing for cost, performance and aggressive schedules. They have the ability to communicate effectively and efficiently with PD team members, cross functional teams, and executives.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Key job responsibilities
• Lead Architect / PD Technical Lead for an outdoor consumer electronics product.
• Work with cross functional team in assessing project/risk readiness for PD owned deliverables.
• Concise and accurate communication with PD members, cross functional teams, and executives.
• Independently able to change priorities based on high value judgements.
• Customer focused when solving ambiguous problems.
• Negotiate and collaborate with external teams to manage priorities and allocate PD resources effectively.
• Ability to create scalable solutions while solving tactical problems.
• Up to a total of 25% international and domestic travel may be required.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Redmond, WA, USA
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or other closely related fields of study.
- 7+ years of experience in consumer electronics products with the last several years as architect or technical lead designing IP66 outdoor rated electronics/telecommunications products.
- 5+ years of experience with 3D CAD modeling, tooling reviews and drawing release for production tooling.
- 5+ years of experience with designing for high volume manufacturing and assembly processes (should include multiple tools in several of: plastic injection / thermoforming, casting, sheet metal, machining, various finishing processes)
- 5+ years of experience designing Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs), flexes and electrical interconnects
- MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or other closely related engineering field of study.
- 15 + years of experience in consumer electronics products with the last 5 years as architect or technical lead designing IP66 outdoor rated electronics/telecommunications products.
- Subject Matter Expert in several mechanical engineering disciplines.
- 5+ years of experience with Phase Array antennas including products used in the field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills at both the engineering and executive level.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $114,300/year in our lowest geographic market up to $213,600/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.