The Books Design Studio seeks a passionate and people obsessed leader to manage our Author Publisher UX team. Our mission is to inspire readers by making it easy to read more and get more out of reading. In pursuit of this, our 50+ person global Design Studio provides the user research, UX, and brand design for Kindle E-readers, Kindle apps for phones & tablets, Author & Publisher tools, and book shopping experiences used by millions of readers and thousands of authors around the world.
The Author and Publishing team crafts custom-centric and bar-raising experiences, delivering results across the spectrum of large enterprise publishers to independent self-publishing authors. In this role you will use your impressive abilities to collaborate across teams with a relentless focus on doing what’s right for authors and publishers on behalf of readers. The ideal candidate will have a proven record of setting a vision and supporting their team to deliver. To succeed in this role, you must have high judgement, be an innovative self-starter in driving operational excellence, and a strategic big-picture thinker who leads through their team.
Key job responsibilities
* Grow and lead a talented team of designers, responsible for end to end product experiences and features across desktop and mobile author and publisher experiences.
* Manage the user experience design of multiple mid-to-large-sized programs through leading a design team.
* Influence product roadmap and champion user-centered design culture.
* Model behavior that exemplifies Amazon Leadership Principles in their team and raise the design bar for the organization.
* Provide coaching and feedback, with an emphasis on growing senior ICs and leadership capability.
* Create and drives adoption of design guidelines, mechanisms, best practices, process and tools.
* Drive operational excellence across the team that cultivates a positive environment and inclusive culture.
*Partner with leaders across disciplines (marketing, product, tech, research) to define the strategic direction and design resourcing needs.
About the team
We are a diverse, collaborative group with a passion for crafting exceptional experiences to help our authors and publishers reach readers. We hope you'll join us.
The team is largely based in Seattle with flexible remote work days. We fully support relocation to Seattle, should that be desired.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Seattle, WA, USA
- 6+ years of design experience
- Experience designing software for end users or enterprise customers
- 3+ years of leading design teams experience
- Experience managing teams
- Experience leading design teams in problem definition, artifact rendering, cross-functional collaboration and delivery, and user validation and measurement
- Experience with a variety of UX tools such as Figma, FigJam, Adobe XD, Sketch, and Invision
- Experience working cross-team and synthesize feedback and input from product management, engineering, testing, and marketing
- Experience with agile/scrum
- Knowledge of best practices for information architecture and interaction design, user-centered design process
- Experience with various development, design planning frameworks, and cross-team collaboration mechanism
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $121,300/year in our lowest geographic market up to $225,500/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.