Have you ever wanted to solve a mystery or be part of solving a case? Are you fascinated by detective stories or crime shows on TV? Do you love to write code, have a technical background and enjoy solving complex problems? If so, working on the Loss Prevention Tech team as a Software Development Engineer is the place for you! We’re looking for an engineer with deep expertise in designing, developing, and maintaining software. This role will be expected to drive the software development process as well as mentor fellow team members. The Loss Prevention tech team supports our field LP, security and operations teams by building scalable global tech products. Our goal is to develop scalable systems, web interfaces, reporting, metrics and analytics that drive investigations, establish trend analysis and build LP workflows
Key job responsibilities
• Collaborate to define the system architecture, owning documenting and breaking down work for the team to implement individual components.
• Be responsible for technical problem solving, meeting product objectives, and developing best practices
• Write high-quality, efficient, testable code in a modern object-oriented language.
• Mentor other developers.
• Contribute to planning, design, implementation, testing, operations, and process improvement as the lead of a Scrum team.
• Own end-to-end architecture of scalable large projects, participating in an on-call rotation.
• Track and report on metrics which are key performance indicators, allowing performance improvements so that the desired outcomes are achieved to plan and in a timely manner
• Troubleshooting and responding to errors, bug fixes and issue tickets
• Ensure all programs comply with Amazon InfoSec standards
A day in the life
"Benefits Summary": Amazon offers a full range of benefits that support you and eligible family members, including domestic partners and their children. Benefits can vary by location, the number of regularly scheduled hours you work, length of employment, and job status such as seasonal or temporary employment. The benefits that generally apply to regular, full-time employees include:
1. Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
2. Maternity and Parental Leave Options
3. Paid Time Off (PTO)
4. 401(k) Plan
If you are not sure that every qualification on the list above describes you exactly, we'd still love to hear from you! At Amazon, we value people with unique backgrounds, experiences, and skillsets. If you’re passionate about this role and want to make an impact on a global scale, please apply!"
About the team
We believe that building a culture that is welcoming and inclusive is integral to people doing their best work and is essential to what we can achieve as a company. We actively recruit people from diverse backgrounds to build a supportive and inclusive workplace. Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Seattle, WA, USA
- 5+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 5+ years of programming with at least one software programming language experience
- 5+ years of leading design or architecture (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead or leading an engineering team
- 5+ years’ experience with full stack development.
- 5+ years’ experience with databases (querying and analyzing) such as SQL, MYSQL, NoSQL and the use of analytics to report and provide visibility to trends.
- 4+ years’ experience with root cause and correction of code related bugs, error and other issues
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Background in distributed computing, service-oriented architectures and enterprise-wide systems.
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
- Exposure to Machine Learning/deep learning projects
- Able to work in a diverse team
- Ability to work independently with limited direction, communicate effectively with team members in other geographic locations
- Ability to take calculated risks and challenge current practices to develop and deliver innovative solutions to meet or exceed the customer expectations
- 5+ years of full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $134,500/year in our lowest geographic market up to $261,500/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.