Amazon’s Global Media and Entertainment (GME) organization is creating the future of entertainment where creative content, innovation, and commerce come together. We leverage Amazon’s unique expertise across video, music, gaming, and more to create a truly immersive entertainment experience. Our team, GME Economics, is focused on building strategic science tools to optimize Amazon’s entertainment offerings, so that we can provide a great customer experience while operating as a sustainable and profitable business.
This role will build and expand long-term measurement models serving all GME businesses, making strong causal inference skills essential. The GME business context is complex, ambiguous, and can change quickly. You'll need to be adaptable and resourceful, converting complex business problems into estimable econometric problems, and building solutions that anticipate future business needs. Once the model is built, you'll partner hands-on with engineers to productionize it, ensuring the output is high quality and that computation is efficient. Our team values excellent written and verbal communication with partners of all levels, with technical and nontechnical backgrounds. You'll need to translate data and findings into actionable insights for leaders with the same skill that you explain the nuances of your identification assumptions to scientists, or describe the logical flow of your estimations to engineers.
Our healthy team culture is supportive and fast-paced, and we prioritize learning, growth, and helping each other to continuously raise the bar. We think big, taking on high-risk, high-reward projects based on novel scientific approaches. As a central science team, we work hard to build trust with partners, who always have fresh problems for us to tackle.
Impact and Career Growth:
In today’s entertainment landscape, critical decisions are made with data and economic models. You’ll help leaders ask the right questions, and then deliver data-driven answers, creating the future of GME at Amazon. You’ll help define a long-term science vision and translate it into an actionable roadmap. This role combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus, and business understanding – a perfect recipe for career growth as an economist in tech.
Key job responsibilities
• Design and build econometric models, especially causal models, to measure the value of the business and its many features
• Develop science products from concept to prototype to production, incorporating feedback from scientists and business partners
• Independently identify and pursue new opportunities to leverage economic insights across GME businesses
• Collaborate with PMs to build product roadmaps, ensuring our work meets the needs of our stakeholders and then communicating progress and findings to them
• Write business and technical documents communicating business context, methods, and results to business leadership and other scientists
• Work with engineers within and outside our org to productionize science models
• Serve as a technical reviewer for our team and related teams, including document and code reviews
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Los Angeles, CA, USA | New York, NY, USA | Seattle, WA, USA
- PhD in economics or equivalent
- Knowledge of data analysis languages (e.g., R, Stata, Python, etc.) or other statistical software
- Experience with SQL
- Experience in a postdoctoral position, consulting position, government position or academic research
- Experience with downstream impact (DSI) surrogate models, estimating long-term impacts from relatively short-run measurements
- Experience with double machine learning and common machine learning prediction models
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $103,300/year in our lowest geographic market up to $201,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.