We are designing the future. If you are in quest of an iterative fast-paced environment, where you can drive innovation through scientific inquiry, and provide tangible benefit to hundreds of thousands of our associates worldwide, this is your opportunity.
Come work on the Amazon Worldwide Fulfillment Design & Engineering Team! We are looking for an experienced and Research Scientist with background in Ergonomics and Industrial Human Factors, someone that is excited to work on complex real-world challenges for which a comprehensive scientific approach is necessary to drive solutions. Your investigations will define human factor / ergonomic thresholds resulting in design and implementation of safe and efficient workspaces and processes for our associates.
Your role will entail assessment and design of manual material handling tasks throughout the entire Amazon network. You will identify fundamental questions pertaining to the human capabilities and tolerances in a myriad of work environments, and will initiate and lead studies that will drive decision making on an extreme scale. .You will provide definitive human factors/ ergonomics input and participate in design with every single design group in our network, including Amazon Robotics, Engineering R&D, and Operations Engineering. You will work closely with our Worldwide Health and Safety organization to gain feedback on designs and work tenaciously to continuously improve our associate’s experience.
Key job responsibilities
- Collaborating and designing work processes and workspaces that adhere to human factors/ ergonomics standards worldwide.
- Producing comprehensive and assessments of workstations and processes covering biomechanical, physiological, and psychophysical demands.
- Effectively communicate your design rationale to multiple engineering and operations entities.
- Identifying gaps in current human factors standards and guidelines, and lead comprehensive studies to redefine “industry best practices” based on solid scientific foundations.
- Continuously strive to gain in-depth knowledge of your profession, as well as branch out to learn about intersecting fields, such as robotics and mechatronics.
- Travelling to our various sites to perform thorough assessments and gain in-depth operational feedback, approximately 25%-50% of the time.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Seattle, WA, USA
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Life Sciences (Biology, Physiology, Kinesiology, Biomechanics), Human Factors / Ergonomics or any other related quantitative discipline.
- 2+ years experience conducting comprehensive field-based human factors / ergonomics research and assessments, and firm understanding of the advantages and limitations of tools such as: NIOSH Lifting Equation (LI, CLI, VLI), Liberty Mutual MMH Tables, Duty Cycle Equation, RCRA, Revised Strain Index, OCRA, 3DSSPP, EEPP, Siemens JACK, Process Simulate etc.
- Experience conducting laboratory studies in human performance using motion capture technology, electromyography, metabolic carts, etc. resulting in peer reviewed publications / conference presentations.
- Ability to perform independent biomedical signal processing and statistical analysis of large databases using your own code in Matlab or Python.
- PhD and 2+ years experience conducting comprehensive field-based human factors / ergonomics research and assessments, and firm understanding of the advantages and limitations of tools.
- Research products resulting in peer reviewed publications and conference presentations as primary author.
- Knowledge of industrial engineering warehouse design principles.
- Leveraging of advanced statistical methods, such as principal component analysis, support vector machines, neural networks, etc. to gain insight of human capacity and variability.
- Experience designing product concepts in CAD
- Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $124,100/year in our lowest geographic market up to $212,800/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.