Amazon Device Economics is looking for a senior economic expert in causal inference to advance the economic valuation methodologies in the Amazon Devices organization. This is a thought leadership position to help set the long-term vision, drive methods innovation, and influence cross-org methods alignment. This role is also an expert in modeling and measuring customer value with proven capacity to innovate, scale measurement, and mentor talent.
This candidate will also work closely with Amazon Devices executive leadership in finance and product development to devise science roadmaps for innovation and simplification, and adoption of insights to influence important resource allocation and prioritization decisions. Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) are required to ensure success of this collaboration. The candidate must be passionate about advancing science for business and customer impact.
Key job responsibilities
- Advance valuation methodology within Devices, and in collaboration with centralized valuation teams.
- Motivate and drive data generation to size.
- Drive innovation and closed loop measurement for methods innovation.
- Enable product development to scale valuation approach.
A day in the life
- Propose and refine valuation methodology, and review with Devices finance customers.
- Brief Devices executives about valuation approaches, providing options to address strategic priorities.
- Collaborate with and influence the broader scientific methodology community.
About the team
Amazon Devices designs and builds Amazon first-party consumer electronics products to delight and engage customers. Amazon Devices represents a highly complex space with 100+ products across several product categories (e-readers [Kindle], tablets [Fire Tablets], smart speakers and audio assistants [Echo], wifi routers [eero], and video doorbells and cameras [Ring and Blink]), for sale both online and in offline retailers in many regions. The space becomes more complex with dynamic product offerings that include new product launches, new marketplace launches, and improvements to existing devices through software improvements.
The Devices Economics team leads in analyzing these complex marketplace dynamics to enable science-driven decision making in the Devices org. Device Economics achieves this by combining economic expertise with macroeconomic trends, including scientific applications for use by internal analysts and providing deep understanding of customer preferences. Our team’s outputs inform product development decisions, investments in future product categories, product pricing and promotion, and bundling across complementary product lines. We have achieved substantial impact on the Devices business, and will achieve more with the right leader in this space.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Arlington, VA, USA | Seattle, WA, USA
- PhD in Economics, Statistics, or other quantitative field.
- 8 + years of experience in analytics and applied economics.
- Proficient in a general programming language.
- Experience in developing and executing an analytic vision to solve business-relevant problems.
- Experience in building analytic or scientific data products or solutions.
- Written and verbal communications skills to convey complicated process and systems to business partners and senior leadership.
- Applicants with considerably more and broader, experience, are also strongly encouraged.
- Expert in statistical and programming software including: Python, or Spark.
- Expert at industry analyses, including experience with product bundling, substitution, and pricing.
- Experience with causal machine learning in performant applications.
- Strong track record in performing high-quality analysis of data at scale.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $151,500/year in our lowest geographic market up to $294,700/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.