The Automated Reasoning Group in AWS Platform is looking for an Applied Scientist with experience in building scalable solver solutions that delight customers. You will be part of a world-class team building the next generation of automated reasoning tools and services.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider–from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases–to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things.
You will apply your knowledge to propose solutions, create software prototypes, and move prototypes into production systems using modern software development tools and methodologies. In addition, you will support and scale your solutions to meet the ever-growing demand of customer use. You will use your strong verbal and written communication skills, are self-driven and own the delivery of high quality results in a fast-paced environment.
Each day, hundreds of thousands of developers make billions of transactions worldwide on AWS. They harness the power of the cloud to enable innovative applications, websites, and businesses. Using automated reasoning technology and mathematical proofs, AWS allows customers to answer questions about security, availability, durability, and functional correctness. We call this provable security, absolute assurance in security of the cloud and in the cloud. See https://aws.amazon.com/security/provable-security/
As an Applied Scientist in AWS Platform, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the definition, vision, design, roadmap and development of product features from beginning to end. You will:
* Define and implement new solver applications that are scalable and efficient approaches to difficult problems
* Apply software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all team deliverables
* Work in an agile, startup-like development environment, where you are always working on the most important stuff
* Deliver high-quality scientific artifacts
* Work with the team to define new interfaces that lower the barrier of adoption for automated reasoning solvers
* Work with the team to help drive business decisions
The AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. From identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, to projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Learn and Be Curious. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Inclusion and Diversity. Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon’s 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Key job responsibilities
Improve state-of-the-art for SAT and SMT solvers, with special focus on cloud optimization. Work closely with internal and external users on defining and extending application domains. Tune solver performance for application-specific demands. Identify new opportunities for solver deployment.
About the team
Solver science is a talented team of scientists from around the world. Expertise areas include solver theory, performance, implementation, and applications.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Austin, TX, USA | Boston, MA, USA | New York, NY, USA | Portland, OR, USA | Santa Clara, CA, USA | Seattle, WA, USA
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field
- At least 5 years of industrial/academic experience in formal verification, program analysis, constraint-solving, and/or theorem proving
- At least 5 years of experience with programming languages such as Java, Scala, C/C++, Ruby, or Python and open-source technologies
- At least 5 years of experience in design and analysis of algorithms and data structures
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field
- Deep understanding of formal methods, formal verification, constraint solving, and knowledge representation
- Ability to address customer or business problems when a problem is ill-defined
- Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
- Demonstrated track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $136,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $260,000/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.