Amazon Operations: Safety Specialist (Entry Level) - University Fulfillment 2017
Job ID: 400745 | Amazon Fulfillment Svcs, Inc.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
At Amazon, we have a unique culture built on pioneering into unknown and new frontiers. From selling books to creating the Kindle, from making films to launching faster delivery, Amazon reinvents normal. After selling the first book in 1995, we have grown at an incredible rate and now have become the universe’s most customer centric company. By hiring those that take risks and find fulfillment through making the impossible commonplace, Amazon cultivates innovation. Every employee at Amazon has the power to forge their own path and to have a true impact on the business, and we find that exhilarating.
Read more about us at amazon.com/about
When we hire you at Amazon, we hire for the future. With unlimited career opportunities, Amazon invests in ensuring our teams are always challenged, constantly learning from each other, and creatively contributing to our next big idea. You will be surrounded by the best innovators of our time and we welcome you to make history with us: minority, female, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation.
See why diversity is important to us at amazon.com/diversity
Operations is at the heart of Amazon business. We are known for our speed, accuracy and exceptional service. Our buildings deliver tens of thousands of products to hundreds of countries worldwide, every day. In these key roles, you’ll come in to help us exceed productivity goals and deliver against our customer promises. Our scale is expansive and our presence is growing - some of our centers across the United States and Canada are over 1 million square feet! Our goal is simple: to offer the world’s greatest selection of products and services with the world’s best customer experience.
Watch videos on our team members at youtube.com/AmazonFulfillment
Ensuring a safe working environment for the associates and managers within our fulfillment centers is priority number one at Amazon. Our World Wide Safety Team is continually evaluating our processes and procedures to maintain excellence in this area. The Safety Specialist provides technical support and tactical execution in the implementation of Amazon Global Environmental, Health and Safety programs within assigned fulfillment center. Below are key responsibilities:
· Serve as designated safety representative of assigned fulfillment center (FC), coordinating and implementing all areas of the Amazon Global Safety Program as directed by Safety Manager of the regional node.
· Influence behavior and inspire commitment on the part of all personnel in complying with Amazon safety standards and maintaining a safe work environment.
· Conduct training and coach associates on observed work habits in support of this effort.
· Support management’s efforts to ensure compliance with corporate Safety Program expectations and applicable federal and state law. Identify and inform management of compliance issues, safety risks and improvement opportunities through the conduct of daily, weekly and monthly audits.
· Conduct risk assessments related to jobs performed (Job Hazard Analysis) and new equipment introductions. Recommend appropriate risk mitigation measures to management, including ergonomic considerations, in all such efforts.
· Facilitate incident investigation process.
· Maintain accurate daily, weekly and monthly metrics reporting to onsite management teams and corporate based reporting systems.
· Maintain required paperwork to comply with Amazon standards.
· Provide (or facilitate access to) immediate aid for associates, visitors, vendors, or guests that need assistance, or medical attention.
· Enter Safety Incident Information in Metrics database in a timely manner.
· Perform Safety Observations & Audits.
· Train and assist others (Area Managers, Safety Team Members, etc) to complete their Safety responsibilities (Audits, Follow Safety Rules, etc).
· Perform Specific Safety Training as required by the Safety Manager.
We are committed to developing a diverse workforce and we are even more committed to working with you to make that happen. Depending on the type of job, you will be required to engage in physical warehouse activities given reasonable accommodation. These activities include the following:
· Lifting/moving material up to 49 pounds each
· Bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head
· Frequent walking in the building and around area; facilities are over a quarter mile in length
· Standing/walking for up to 10-12 hours
· Ascending/descending ladders, stairs, and gangways safely and without limitation
What do we offer?
Amazon offers competitive compensation packages including comprehensive healthcare benefits starting on Day 1 and up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave. We grant each employee ownership in the company, including Amazon stock awards and a matching 401(k) program. But, if you’re not in it for those perks, here is one more: we don’t wear suits and ties! Come as you are because jeans, t-shirts, sneakers and sometimes a neon safety vest will be your daily outfit. Jeff Bezos’s most recent letter to shareholders sums it all up pretty well.
The basic qualifications, we require that:
· You have a completed bachelor’s degree.
· You are able to work overtime during peak holiday seasons and as needed.
· You can work overnight or over the weekend depending on your assigned shift.
· You are authorized to work in the US without sponsorship.
· You have strong communication, teamwork, analysis, judgment and customer focus skills
· You are able to analyze accident data, new processes, and machinery for potential safety concerns and conduct job hazard and job safety analyses
· You have a passion for Safety
· You are able to maintain confidentiality in matters involving security and/or personnel issues
· You have experience with OSHA regulations specifically 29 CFR 1910 preferred
· You have experience in Worker’s Compensation case management preferred