Amazon Operations: Area Manager Intern - University Fulfillment 2017
Job ID: 427275 | Amazon Fulfillment Svcs, Inc.
NATIONWIDE OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVAILABLE
INTERVIEWS FOR THIS POSITION WILL BEGIN IN THE FALL OF 2016.
POSITION WILL BE FOR SUMMER 2017, 10 WEEKS
At Amazon, we have a unique culture built on pioneering into unknown and new frontiers. From selling books to creating the Kindle, from making films to launching faster delivery, Amazon reinvents normal. After selling the first book in 1995, we have grown at an incredible rate and now have become the universe’s most customer centric company. By hiring those that take risks and find fulfillment through making the impossible commonplace, Amazon cultivates innovation. Every employee at Amazon has the power to forge their own path and to have a true impact on the business, and we find that exhilarating.
Read more about us.
When we hire you at Amazon, we hire for the future. With unlimited career opportunities, Amazon invests in ensuring our teams are always challenged, constantly learning from each other, and creatively contributing to our next big idea. You will be surrounded by the best innovators of our time and we welcome you to make history with us: minority, female, gender identity, disability, or sexual orientation.
See why diversity is important to us.
Operations is at the heart of Amazon business. We are known for our speed, accuracy and exceptional service. Our buildings deliver tens of thousands of products to hundreds of countries worldwide, every day. In these key roles, you’ll come in to help us exceed productivity goals and deliver against our customer promises. Our scale is expansive and our presence is growing - some of our centers across the United States and Canada are over 1 million square feet! Our goal is simple: to offer the world’s greatest selection of products and services with the world’s best customer experience.
Watch videos on our team members
As an Area Manager Intern, the majority of your internship will be spent training and acting as an Amazon Area Manager. You will learn the leadership skills necessary to lead and develop a team of Amazon Associates; your main focus will be motivating, mentoring and coaching your team. The core of your internship will be engaging with your team during a shift to ensure that the highest levels of safety, quality, attendance performance and engagement are maintained. To achieve this, the Area Manager Intern will ensure that their team of associates have all the tools needed to succeed for any task during a shift. Additionally, during your internship you will dive into Standard Work and Continuous Improvement through an intern project. Most projects are rooted in process improvement and in the past have included: changes in website layout, improvements of employee engagement, and optimization of item stow processes. During your internship with Amazon you will have visibility into one of the world’s most complex supply chain networks. You will see what it takes to run a facility that can ship a micro-chip to London and a canoe Japan. You will also have the opportunity to interact with Vice Presidents and other senior leaders, giving you the opportunity to learn from some of the best and brightest in the industry.
Your key responsibilities may include (but are not limited to the following):
· You will lead and develop a team of Amazon associates.
· You will drive Standard Work and Continuous Improvement through an intern project.
· You will communicate policies to associates and act as the primary information source for the team, maintaining compliance and consistency and taking corrective action when needed.
· You will develop performance goals and objectives to achieve customer promise expectations and ensure accuracy and quality.
· You will support all safety programs and OSHA compliance to ensure a safe work environment for all Associates.
· You will ensure procedures are followed for building security and product loss prevention,
· You will create, manage, and support recognition and communication programs.
· You will partner with the management team to establish and maintain quality control standards.
Program Quick Facts
· Term: 10 weeks.
· Benefits: Competitive Salary, Relocation and Housing Assistance.
· Hours: You may be working a 4-day, 10 hour shift or a 5-day, 8 hour shift depending on your location. This could include a weekend day.
· Opportunity: An offer for full time employment may be given after the internship.
· Locations: The position could be located in a Fulfillment Center, Sort Center, or other operations nationwide. The position will likely not be based out of Seattle
· Students must be pursuing a bachelor's degree with graduation date between December 2017 and June 2018
· Willingness to relocate if needed
· Willingness to work weekends and/or overnight shifts
· Willingness to work overtime as needed
· You must also be authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
· Leadership Experience - We are looking for students who are standing out and making a difference in their classes, student groups, part-time jobs and extra-curricular activities
· Degree in Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, General Management or related field is a plus
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal)
· You have a minimum GPA of 3.0.
· You enjoy analytical work and using data to provide thought-provoking and workable solutions. Data is what you look to when given a problem to solve.
· You typically volunteer to lead projects and help your team achieve goals. You have a track record of taking ownership and driving results.
· You have the ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment and when given a deadline, you know how to motivate yourself and meet it.
· You don’t hesitate in public speaking or writing a paper. You have strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Students with a strong interest in an Operations/Supply Chain Management career
· You like adventures and taking risks. You are willing to relocate to any of our sites in the country with the assistance provided.
(Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation).