When you attract people who have the DNA of pioneers and the DNA of explorers, you build a company of like-minded people who want to invent. And that’s what they think about when they get up in the morning: how are we going to work backwards from customers and build a great service or a great product – Jeff Bezos
AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers with booksellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of A Farewell to Arms.
About the Role
AbeBooks is seeking a Manager, User Experience Research & Design to lead a team of UX designers. You will be responsible for building a culture of research and experimentation that guides the user experience for our seven marketplace across all the devices customers use to interact with our services. With a strong aesthetic, passion for design and visual merchandising, the candidate will have a track record of re-invention, and an extensive mobile experience. This position is based in Victoria, BC.
As the primary user experience champion for AbeBooks and our other brands, you will relentlessly advocate for the customer and ensure their voice is heard throughout the company. You will shape the direction of user experience improvement projects across the organization and set the tempo for defect reduction through continuous improvement. You will drive ownership across your team to deliver large-scale, high-visibility, and high-impact projects. You will lead by example, being just as passionate about operational performance and predictability as you are about all other aspects of the user experience.
· Conceive, propose, and sell new research projects, shape concepts and help teams to focus on the customer while they envision changes to achieve business goals
· Plan and execute qualitative and quantitative research plans to drive understanding of audiences, users and customers
· Define processes and work across all departments to collect data, draw insights, author reports, and make business-oriented recommendations that benefit the user experience
· Lead creative team to design and evolve AbeBooks’ user experience on all devices
· Drive the development of curated merchandising that reflect the preferences of a specific consumer segment, considering price, quality, visual aesthetic, lifestyle and other factors
· Measure and analyze the performance of onsite, on device, and email programs, identify new opportunities based on customer and business data
· Incorporate market analysis, customer feedback, technical constraints, and usability findings into design
· Partner with key stakeholders to develop the vision and strategy for the user experience on our platforms
· Present design work to UX, Product, and Engineering teams, as well as stakeholders and executive leadership
· Manage a team of UX designers and develop and mentor them as they progress in their careers
AbeBooks offers competitive salaries, a generous benefits package, and a beautiful waterfront office space, as well as bonus perks such as a health and wellness subsidy, fresh fruit, donuts, free drinks and snacks, foosball, ping pong, and pool tables... the list goes on.
What really makes us stand out is the world-class team of people that you get to work with every day. We trust our employees because we only hire the best. We want people who are prepared to challenge the status quo and always raise the bar. And we do all this while having fun and enjoying the tranquility of island life.
Apply today, and learn more about why you should join our award-winning workplace!
The following qualifications are required for this role:
· 5+ years user research experience in technology companies
· 3+ years experience in a people management role
· Strong analytical and quantitative skills that allow you to assimilate diverse data sources to drive business recommendations.
· Experience conducting user research for and delivering services and applications across multiple platforms and devices.
· Strong bias for action; ability to juggle multiple priorities and create a sense of urgency in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
· Track record of working with engineering teams to deliver great user experiences.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The following qualifications are preferred, but not required, for this role:
· Experience of software development and familiar with Agile methodologies
· Knowledge of SQL
· French, German, Italian, or Spanish language skills