IMDb is a subsidiary of Amazon and is the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity information with over 250 million monthly customers.
We are seeking a Business Development Manager to help us deliver on a long-term, transformational strategy: expanding IMDb into an entertainment destination that is authoritative and engaging, social, and media-rich. You will be part of an efficient, high-impact team that drives step-function growth through smart deals including licensing, distribution, syndication, partnerships, and M&A. This is a cross-functional role that will work closely with product development, editorial, ad sales, marketing, and legal. Opportunities to work with other Amazon businesses and companies are assured.
If you are an experienced and resourceful business development manager, then join us in IMDb’s next major stage of growth. This position is based in IMDb’s office in beautiful Santa Monica, CA, and reports to IMDb’s head of business development.
This role has one main responsibility: to drive deals from start to finish. That includes:
· Research and identify business opportunities that would drive step-function change in IMDb company goals.
· Prospect, cultivate, and develop meaningful business relationships with target companies.
· Craft, package, and pitch proposals to those companies.
· Negotiate deal terms, contracts, and drive to closure. This may include “negotiating” within IMDb and Amazon as well as negotiating with the third-party company.
Other responsibilities may include lightweight account management after deal closure; contributing to strategy discussions; contributing to product development discussions; and helping finance and accounting on closed deals.
· At least 6 years of relevant work experience in business development. Track record of negotiating and closing contracts. Very comfortable working closely with attorneys on very specific details.
· At least 5 years of work experience at entertainment or entertainment-adjacent companies (e.g., movie studio, talent agency, entertainment law firm, etc.).
· Excellent negotiation skills. Strong financial acumen. Innate business sense.
· Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills. Ability to represent IMDb well.
· Ability to successfully juggle multiple leads and deals simultaneously and to react quickly to changes in priorities, goals, and targets.
· Willingness to work in a frugal environment where you will embrace work that is “beneath you”.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· A deep understanding of and a passion for the entertainment and media industries. Direct work experience at entertainment and media companies is good. Direct work experience at online/mobile/digital companies is desired.
· Hands-on business experience within the movie and TV industries.
· Track record of entrepreneurship or entrepreneurial behavior. Work traits include nimbleness, persistence, creativity, frugality, and persistence. And persistence.
· Data driven. Excellent problem-solving skills. Creative solutions thinker.