When you attract people who have the DNA of pioneers and the DNA of explorers, you build a company of like-minded people who want to invent. And that’s what they think about when they get up in the morning: how are we going to work backwards from customers and build a great service or a great product. – Jeff Bezos
AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers with booksellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of “A Farewell to Arms”.
About the Role
AbeBooks is looking for a seasoned marketing and ecommerce executive who has a proven track record of success and extensive performance-based consumer marketing and user experience expertise. You will use your passion, experience and vision to build and lead the team of marketers, UX researchers and Designers in the Canada and Germany. You will own our customer segmentation, competitive positioning, and communication across all marketing channels to drive brand awareness, customer acquisition and retention. The ideal candidate has experience with defining the marketing strategy, developing and executing demand generation campaigns.
With your UX team you will be responsible for building a culture of research and experimentation that guides the user experience for our seven marketplaces across all the devices customers use to interact with our services.
As a senior leader on the AbeBooks team, you will work closely with the CEO and other senior managers to drive strategy, product, and team development for our global business.
This role requires an individual who can combine a vision of the future of digital commerce with a strong mind for operations, execution, and growth. The successful candidate will be a Performance and Online-Marketing specialist and a strong overall business athlete. They must have strong communication skills, be self-motivate and have the ability to influence employees at all levels of the organization. They will have strong quantitative analytical skills, excellent business judgment and will over-index in their ability to dive deep into business detail, identify way to simplify and increase efficiencies, take ownership and deliver results. They seek out getting their hands dirty to deliver a set of business and customer experience improvement results.
· Team Development – Build a fluid, learning organization that monitors technology trends, ecosystem developments, and competitive moves that influence customer needs. Initiate market research as needed and monitor industry news day-to-day to serve that objective.
· Analysis & Articulation of Specific Recommendations – Dive deep into data to understand how customers and potential customers interact with our channels and services, and make specific recommendations for growth and improvement.
· Business planning – Create and communicate business plans for new opportunities and conduct financial analysis on new opportunities to set and meet revenue and profit targets.
· Business Tools Development to Operate at Scale – Identifying, specifying and leveraging tools created in partnership with our software development team to operate at scale and improve the customer experience.
· Managing Cross-Functional Relationships – Managing, influencing and directing cross-functional teams at AbeBooks/Amazon that can easily scale up and down and who represent the front line of customer contacts.
· Scale Globally – Investigate, learn and develop global strategies that work for worldwide needs, ones that are consistent with and drive the AbeBooks brand forward.
· Customer Empathy – Passion for deep understanding and prioritization to meet the unique and core needs of AbeBooks customers. Consistently originate innovative ideas, in order to find better ways of accomplishing our customer objectives.
· Facilitate Organizational Strategic Planning Process – As a member of the senior management team, this role takes our organizational vision and works across all departments to facilitate the planning process to ensure alignment of strategic priorities and communication of our short and long-term goals across the organization.
AbeBooks offers competitive salaries, a generous benefits package, and a beautiful waterfront office space, as well as bonus perks such as a health and wellness subsidy, fresh fruit, donuts, free drinks and snacks, foosball, ping pong, and pool tables... the list goes on.
What really makes us stand out is the world-class team of people that you get to work with every day. We trust our employees because we only hire the best. We want people who are prepared to challenge the status quo and always raise the bar. And we do all this while having fun and enjoying the tranquility of island life.
Apply today, and learn more about why you should join our award-winning workplace!
· Bachelor’s degree
· Experience managing a cross-functional team with managers and individual contributors
· Willingness to travel internationally on a quarterly basis
· A strong background (10+ years) in strategic planning, ideally for a highly analytical multi-national business in a customer or seller facing role
· Proven track record of hiring and developing exceptional leaders
· Strong business judgment with a track record of creating and articulating compelling visions
· Experience working with a software development team and articulating business requirements
· Demonstrated success in customer relationship management
· Proven analytical skills and highly comfortable mining, synthesizing and summarizing data
· Fluent in German, French, Italian or Spanish
· Previous P&L ownership
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, including prioritization, planning and leadership at scale
· Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including strong writing and speaking skills
· Ability to think strategically and produce tactical plans to execute that strategy, with excellent attention to detail
· Tenacity to develop ideas independently and thrive in a fast-paced environment