AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers from more than 200 countries with booksellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of A Farewell to Arms.
About the Role
The core of your role is to drive the vision and technical direction of AbeBooks, partnering across the organization to drive our business needs. As a member of the senior management team, you will help set the strategic course for the company as we expand into new market segments. You will support, coach, and develop a talented, creative, and engaged team of software developers, systems engineers, web developers, and engineering managers.
The role is the definition of end-to-end ownership, with responsibility for our core e-commerce systems, website operations, and demand generation. The teams you will support own the systems that bring millions of buyers to our six domains and process millions of transactions a year for thousands of sellers; your success will be critical to the success of AbeBooks.
You will partner with your peers and senior leaders at Amazon to integrate with Amazon’s systems and services where it allows us to better focus on what differentiates us. As part of your responsibilities, you will be:
· Building a best in-class engineering team that delivers excellent result through rapid iterations;
· Designing and developing state-of-the-art approaches to solving complex and ambiguous problems;
· Cultivating engineering and operational excellence through metrics and continuous learning;
· Providing leadership and establishing technical vision for a team; and
· Mentoring and developing Software Development Managers to take on increasingly higher responsibilities.
You are an experienced manager-of-managers who thrives on building great teams, delivering great products, and who has deep technical skills. You create a fun, engaging, and productive environment that attracts and retains exceptional engineers and managers. You understand the importance of earning and maintaining the trust of your team, peers, and leaders, and you are consistent in your words and deeds.
You engage with people from every part of the business to seek out opportunities to improve your products and ensure we build the right thing the right way. You drive risk out of projects with every decision and help guide your teams to start with the customer and work backwards.
You consistently raise the bar for your team’s performance and the operational excellence of your team’s systems. You audit effectively to make the right decisions with limited time and information and you use data to drive your decisions wherever possible. In the absence of data your judgment ensures you know when to take risks and when not to.
You always rise to the occasion and never settle.
Job location: 500-655 Tyee Road, Victoria, BC V9A 6X5
Salary Range: $178,200 – $297,600, commensurate with experience
Benefits: AbeBooks provides a full range of benefits for our employees and their eligible family members. Eligible employees may also receive signing bonuses and Amazon Restricted Stock Units. Benefits for Canada include but are not limited to:
· Signing Bonuses
· Employee Stock
· Extended Benefits, including Health & Dental plans, Employee and Family Assistance Plan, and Maternity & Parental Leave top-up
· RRSP Savings Plan & Employer matching
· Paid Time Off
To apply, please visit http://amazon.jobs/team/abebooks for the online application link. If you have any questions, please email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. We respond to every application we receive within 10 business days.
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
· 7+ years professional experience in software development and building production software systems
· 5 years of experience managing managers of software development teams, with hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience
· Experience creating and communicating both company and technical vision, strategy, and operational plans
· Experience with Computer Science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· Experience building customer and developer facing products and services
· Experience with at least one modern programming language (Java, C/C++, C#)
· Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
· Track record of building and delivering mission-critical 24/7 product systems