With over 70 million users, 70 million reviews, and 2 billion books, Goodreads is the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations. Founded in 2007, Goodreads is where readers find and share books they love. Loved by avid and casual readers alike, Goodreads members can discover new books by seeing what their friends and members of the community are reading or using the Goodreads Book Recommendation Engine, share ratings and recommendations, track what they have read, and list what they want to read. Goodreads is also a place where more than 100,000 authors connect with readers. Goodreads is a subsidiary of Amazon, Inc.
This role will lead design across Goodreads. As the Head of UX Design & Research, you will lead a team of talented and experienced designers charged with creating experiences that inspire readers around the world. This role reports directly to Goodreads VP, Product and will directly manage design and customer research, as well as collaborate closely with product leaders, marketers, data analysts, engineers, and executives throughout the product development lifecycle. You will be responsible for driving overall design direction for Goodreads across our web presence and native apps, as well as partnering with design leaders across Amazon to bring Goodreads experiences to Kindle and beyond.
This candidate will have strong customer focus and incredibly high standards. You will be comfortable with ambiguity, passionate about design, extremely self-directed, and have experience empowering teams to drive complex design solutions. You will have managed design for a top online presence, have an understanding of mobile and web best practices, have experience mentoring experienced designers, and deeply understand how to build the right standards and processes to deliver top-quality, innovative designs that deliver results.
This position is located in San Francisco and will require occasional travel to Seattle.
· Lead the UX Design and User Research team across all of Goodreads.
· Empower teams to design innovative, user-centric product solutions that delight our customers and meet Goodreads business goals.
· Champion design-thinking across Goodreads. You work to foster a culture of design innovation and raise awareness of design methods
· Own the end-to-end design process, ensuring on-time, detailed, and polished deliverables across multiple concurrent programs
· Provide customer-focused leadership by working closely with the business, product management, and technical teams to develop product strategy, use cases, and high-level requirements
· Set a high bar for the overall Goodreads customer experience. Build the right standards and processes to ensure that anything that ships meets a consistent high bar for brand, design, copy, and overall UX
· Develop and build relationships across teams and disciplines within Goodreads and across Amazon to promote collaboration and efficiency
· Ensure our cross-platform web and mobile user experiences support customer needs as well and drive towards measurable business goals
· Enable team to use market analyses and customer research findings to drive design decisions and reduce ambiguity
· Collaborate effectively with a multi-disciplinary team to evaluate the feasibility of proposed designs and champion great UX in the face of technical constraints
· Support team in presenting design work to UX, Product, and Engineering teams, as well as stakeholders and executive leadership and gain buy in on proposed approach
· Hire, manage, mentor, and develop designers and researchers within and beyond your team
· Be deeply familiar with overall company goals and product roadmap, and ensure design and research team is adequately staffed, organized, and focused on the right goals and priorities to maximize results
· 10+ years of experience as a UX designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar
· 5+ years as manager of medium size design teams
· Demonstrate a portfolio of work with a proven track record for solving difficult UX design problems and simplifying difficult requirements to intuitive interfaces for customers
· Experience closely collaborating with technical teams
· Experience creating services and applications with multiple user touchpoints on different platforms and devices
· Experience as a leader of multi-disciplinary creative teams
· Experience leading user research
· Familiarity with technical aspects of UX across iOS, Android, mobile and desktop web platforms
· Excellent communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills including the ability to present design concepts clearly and persuasively to colleagues, partners, stakeholders and especially to senior executives
· Highly organized and effective project manager with track record for effectively managing design across multiple, concurrent programs
· Ability to work efficiently and demonstrate a bias for action in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment
· Relentless desire for innovation and driving high standards, balanced with business needs and customer expectations
· Bachelor's or Master’s degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience
· Experience leading design for a top-tier online presence
· A passion for books and their power to positively impact people’s lives