AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers with booksellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of “A Farewell to Arms”.
About the Job
AbeBooks’ mission is “to help people find and buy any book from any bookseller”. As a part of this mission we work daily to help customers discover our marketplace and the millions of books available from thousands of booksellers. This is challenging and equally rewarding for a truly global marketplace for rare and collectable books. We feel proud to provide a seamless experience to buyers from over 200 countries purchasing products from sellers representing over 60 countries. Our sites get millions of page views every day, and we promote millions of books across several marketing channels. We like to think we know what we’re doing, and we’re always keen on learning and improving.
As an engineer you will have an incredible opportunity to learn and navigate among dozens of products that make up AbeBooks marketplace. Specifically, as part of the e-commerce team you will work to remove barriers so that passionate buyers can get the items they love. The e-commerce team owns everything related to moving money safely and accurately from buyers to sellers and governments (for taxes), and does everything in their power to make this as safe and uneventful as possible. The team powers the ecommerce and accounting systems at AbeBooks using a variety of technologies including Java, Groovy, React, and AWS services. You will have the opportunity to work with Amazon teams and Amazon technologies as we take advantage of capabilities of our parent company. Last but not the least, you will be surrounded by smart and approachable colleagues, while living in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia.
· Have a strong sense of ownership and customer focus
· Care about code quality and readability
· Are comfortable working with data structures as much as discussing software development processes with your peers
· Get inspired by collecting product and system metrics, and by proposing improvements
· Persevere when troubleshooting build, deployment or live issues
· Take code review feedback gracefully and provide your feedback with abundance
· Love to see your code deployed, and want to see it happening more often
· Are willing to drive your own career development and involve your manager as a partner and mentor
AbeBooks offers competitive salaries, a generous benefits package, personal development days and a beautiful waterfront office space, as well as bonus perks such as free drinks and snacks and numerous events throughout the year hosted by our Social Committee!
What really makes us stand out is the world-class team of people that you get to work with every day. We trust our employees because we only hire the best. We want people who are prepared to challenge the status quo and always raise the bar. And we do all this while having fun and enjoying the tranquility of island life.
Apply today, and learn more about why you should join our award-winning workplace!
The ideal candidate will have:
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field
· 0 - 1 year of relevant software engineering experience
Experience with the following would be beneficial:
· Java ecosystem
· AWS ecosystem
· Devops tools and culture
· Mentoring and leadership