Amazon’s Disability & Leave Services (DLS) team in the HR Services organization is building a best-in-class case management program to deliver leave of absence, disability and accommodation services to Amazon employees across the U.S.
The ASL Interpreter Specialist I is a key member of our accommodation team, providing ASL interpreting services to Amazon applicants, candidates and/or employees who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. The interpreter assignments may include in-person services for group meetings or events, as well as meetings with individual employees. Interpreter services may also be delivered via video conference. An Interpreter may also be assigned to work primarily with a single employee for all or part of their work days, permanently or temporarily. The Interpreter is highly skilled, adept in responding to changing circumstances and needs of a dynamic culture, and paves the way for a connected and trusted accommodation experience. The Interpreter will be called upon to provide general dialogic interpretation, including conversations of a sensitive nature, such as performance management or review. In addition, presentation or meeting-style circumstances are common.
· Demonstrate high quality interpretation skills between English and American Sign Language
. Communicate well in both verbal and written English
· Adhere to Federal Communications Commission regulations pertaining to VRS and VRI
· Provide interpreting services for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and hearing stakeholders in a variety of settings
· Provide effective communication in a video environment and/or on-site services environment
· Multi-task between interpreting effectively while using video-based technology
· Arrive to shifts and assignments on time and prepared for work. Flexible in work hours to support meetings
· Provide stellar customer service to both internal and external customers.
· Collaborate in a professional manner with team
· Work effectively with minimal supervision
· Address and respond to sensitive situations
· Troubleshoot issues and seek to remove barriers before, during, or after an interpreting event
· Respond to employee impacting issues that may arise during the interpreting event and ensure the right communication occurs
· Maintain a working knowledge and increased understanding of the subject matter to enable effective interpretation for all required disciplines
· Demonstrate knowledge and awareness of Amazon’s culture and customs
· Ensure compliance with standard work, federal/state regulations, and company policy
· Maintain system records to ensure accurate and timely documentation of interpreting assignments
· Consult, coordinate and partner with our third party administrator, HR, Safety, Legal, Payroll, Benefits, team members and other departments/systems as appropriate
· Work collaboratively and professionally with other interpreters during assignments
· Travels to various domestic locations to support meetings
· Fluency in both American Sign Language and English with superior sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign language skills
· 3 + years of related professional interpreting experience, with strong demonstrated experience interpreting in the technology work environment
·Experience interpreting in technology-relevant environments (with computer programmers, technology workers, software designers, etc.)
· NIC (National Interpreter Certification) - RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf) Certification
·Experience in Stage/Event Interpretation
. Intermediate skills with MS Office tools such as Word, Excel, and Outlook
· Bachelor’s degree from accredited university, or an Associate’s degree with additional relevant experience
· Multilingual skills (English, ASL and one or more foreign spoken language)
· Two years of virtual (video) VRI, VRS or other on demand interpreter services.
· Experience using tactile ASL, tactile, and close visual interpretation for individuals who are DeafBlind
· Oral interpretation for deaf or hard of hearing individuals who rely on lip-reading
· Lip-Reading Translation (LRT) for individuals who are unable to express themselves vocally due to tracheotomy or other physical disability
· Experience with Signed English (PSE) transliteration and Exact English (SEE)
· Exceptional customer service and communication skills, both verbal and in writing
· Demonstrated ability to deal with confidential information, including sensitive human resources situations (performance coaching, delivering disciplinary plans, etc.)
· Strong problem solving, time management and priority setting skills
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.