Amazon Business team is looking for an System Development Engineer with experience managing data integration services at scale. You must have knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations. As a Big Data System Engineer, you would be responsible to manage the data engineering solution stack that forms the nucleus of the Self-service Analytics, BI and Machine Learning initiatives for Amazon Business. The role will involve building, monitoring and maintaining database solutions that are used for daily reporting and drive business decision making while dealing efficiently with the massive scale of data available through our Data Warehouse as well as our software systems. You will collaborate with the development teams in different locations to assist with the long term improvement of the service. You will be responsible for operational excellence, complete analysis and present periodic reviews of operational performance, provide detailed reviews of service disruptions, metrics, detailed support planning, work directly with customers and developers to ensure that issues are resolved as early as possible. You will be in a fast-paced environment with direct impact on our visions and deliverables. You will be expected to balance strategic thinking with detailed execution and solid cross-functional collaborative results-oriented work.
Bachelors Degree in an engineering or technical field
· 5+ years experience of system and application performance characteristics.
· Proficiency in Java, Ruby, Python or other DevOps oriented language. Experience in relational database concepts, and data management.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for system development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations.
· Highly motivated, passionate about people and have experience managing technical operations and/or engineering teams – need to be hands on.
· Have a proven record of driving improvement programs in the operations, engineering and support fields.
· Ability to understand Cloud platforms and technologies and how they operate within a business environment.
· Understanding of business management and operations.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, which will be key in driving stakeholder communication during critical events.
· Experience in supporting developers working with application platforms or frameworks.
· Amazon Business requires innovative thinking balanced with a strong customer and quality focus. This leader will have a track record of achieving that balance.
· Flexibility to participate in on-call rotations, off-hours issue management meetings, and other required support activities.