At Amazon, we're working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. If you'd like to help us build the place to find and buy anything online, this is your chance to make history.
We ship items directly to the end customer from our fulfillment centers, packaging is not only an important driver of our costs but is also an integral part of our customer experience. The Packaging Engineer will lead the development and continuous improvement of packaging designed to solve customer pain points, to ensure products arrive without being damaged, and to minimize packaging materials/waste and costs. As a subject matter expert, he/she will be also required to support procurement by working with cross functional teams in Amazon and also with suppliers and manufactures to resolve the packaging defects and issues. The role is responsible for leading the successful implementation of multiple packaging initiatives and in the development, design, validation and project management of packaging projects, including new packaging designs, packaging equipment procurement lifecycle. Provide expertise and guidance in the various areas of packaging to the various internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate bias for action, have strong customer empathy, will think big, and embody a unique mix of artist and scientist. This candidate will have experience diving deep to gain customer insights, launching successful new products, and developing strong relationships with global internal stakeholders. The candidate will possess attention to detail, excellent communication skills, the ability to drive consensus across multiple stakeholders and be a great team player. The ability to work independently and deal with an ambiguous environment is a must.
Packaging program manager Responsibilities:
· Identify and support cost reduction and customer experience improvement opportunities with regards to Packaging
· Identify and support the purchasing of new packaging equipment that help drive cost improvement and process efficiency
· Drive spend analysis of packaging supplies and support improvements in sourcing, vendor development and inventory management
· Own and drive initiatives towards Amazon goal of frustration free packaging.
· Validate packaging tests and inspection plans designed to assure quality of packaging based on a review of all applicable safety standards, industry requirements and historical data.
· Review and resolve packaging issues with suppliers, factories, service providers, and packaging vendors. Report the real clauses analysis to different stakeholders
· Developing new packaging innovations that unlock new areas of opportunity for us.
· Leading and coordinating design efforts between internal teams and outside vendors to develop optimal packaging solutions.
· Creating conceptual drawings or working with vendors to create conceptual models for packaging designs
· Evaluating vendor prototypes and providing improvements/suggestions or alternative solutions
· Advising senior management on the latest packaging trends and optimal solutions.
· Maintaining accurate specifications for packaging materials and procedures.
· Providing technical support for root cause analysis of customer complaints related to packaging.
Bachelors Degree in Engineering or related discipline.
· 4 to 10 years of experience in designing packaging solutions
-Prior experience of operating in MENA region
· In-depth knowledge of standard industry practices in packaging
· Knowledge and experience with various substrates such as folding cartons and corrugated, design and production of prototypes, and new product development
· Understanding of packaging qualification practices and standards, and experience meeting production supply chain, product fulfillment, transportation and agency requirements.
· Adept in using MS Excel, AutoCAD and related software
Hands on project leadership experience and superior communication skills
Experience managing local and international packaging suppliers.
· Experience running common packaging software such as ArtiosCAD, TOPS, Abode Illustrator, and like products.
· Experience with developing unique test protocols and procedures.
· Specialised degree in Packaging preferred
· Knowledge of standard cost system in order to optimize profitability to unit of new packaging designs or packaging concepts
Knowledge of materials, finishes and process employed in development of consumer finished goods packaging, electronics transportation and bulk packaging.