This new role in the Amazon Benefits Department will establish world class data science/business intelligence, analytics and reporting for the Amazon health plan. This key role will work closely with internal and external partners including the new healthcare venture to assist in developing and managing health care and population health management solutions for the Amazon Benefits Department. The Data Scientist will be expected to have a deep understanding of health plans and how they interact, and will analyze data to help identify opportunities to improve employee wellbeing and health care outcomes, while reducing medical expenditures.
Preference for this role to be based in Seattle.
· Manage and execute entire projects or components of large projects from start to finish including data gathering and manipulation, synthesis and modeling, problem solving, and communication of insights and recommendations.
· Oversee the development and implementation of data integration and analytic strategies to support population health initiatives.
· Leverage big data to explore and introduce areas of health care analytics and technologies.
· Analyze data to identify opportunities to impact populations.
· Perform advanced integrated comprehensive reporting, consultative, and analytical expertise to provide healthcare cost and utilization data and translate findings into actionable information for internal and external stakeholders.
· Oversee the collection of data, ensuring timelines are met, data is accurate and within established format.
· Act as a data and technical resource and escalation point for data issues, ensuring they are brought to resolution.
· Serve as the subject matter expert on health care benefits data modeling, system architecture, data governance, and business intelligence tools.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
· Masters or PhD in Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, or similar discipline
· 4+ years of relevant working experience in an analytical role.
· Previous experience with health care data sources such as claims, electronic health record, event notification, clinical, and patient reported data
· Knowledge of standard methods for measuring health care utilization, spending, quality, and outcomes; risk adjustment; provider profiling; and related analytical tasks
· Medical and pharmacy plan knowledge and understanding how plan designs interact and impact population health.
· Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills; demonstrated ability to anticipate and creatively solve problems and resolve issues with practical and reasonable solutions; with attention to detail and data quality assurance.
· 8+ years of relevant working experience in an analytical role.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral with both technical and business people. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience.
· Excellent quantitative analysis abilities, grounded in epidemiology, biostatistics, or healthcare analytics
· Experience influencing executives, in partnership with cross functional business leaders, to gain approvals on proposals and recommendations.
· Proven track record of working effectively with people across a large, complex organization to create and launch innovative, successful solutions.
· Demonstrated ability to work on cross-functional teams.
· Ability to analyze data to produce accurate and unbiased results and tell the story of those results in data visualizations, dashboards, and reports. Some experience building dashboards and business intelligence software.
· Advanced data management and data manipulation skills, including a strong foundation in relational databases programming
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
· Demonstrated bias for action with strengths in problem solving, issue-resolution, ability to work in an ambiguous and deadline-driven work environment, attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
· Strong business judgment and a practical, common sense approach to solving complex problems.
· Strong communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills with ability to formulate and explain highly technical concepts to non-technical audiences.