Work hard, have fun and make history with Amazon Public Policy. The Manager, State and Local Public Policy will join a growing, dynamic team and be able to directly enhance Amazon’s advocacy before California state and local policymakers. Like our business interests, our policy issues are broad, forward-thinking, and driven by what is best for our customers.
The Manager will create and execute state and local government affairs objectives in California to support our retail business. This position will be responsible for engaging on state and local legislation and regulation, working with outside consultants, and interacting with our trade associations. This position will attend policymaker conferences and be responsible for building positive relationships.
This Manager will work collaboratively with relevant business, public relations, and legal teams to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. They will assess and anticipate public policy matters, oversee and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives. This position will report to the Director of State and Local Public Policy and work closely with other California, state and local, and federal public policy team members.
This position will be based in Sacramento or San Francisco, CA.
· BA/BS required
· 8-10 years of relevant experience with—and a keen working understanding of—the US state and local policymaking process and government relations
· Ability to be both a substantive issue expert on matters related to Amazon’s business and a manager of complex political relationships
· Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience creating and effectively delivering factual, relevant and easily understandable talking points and other messaging
· Experience identifying and understanding key technical aspects pertaining to corporate operations in state and/or local political environments, understanding business implications, and synthesizing information for internal and external customers
· Demonstrated work experience with companies, consultancies, trade associations, governmental agencies, or equivalent organization
· Ability to maintain the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity
· Significant domestic travel
· Law Degree or relevant Master’s Degree
· Self-starter with proven track record of successfully working with a wide array of functional groups across an organization
· Ability to think critically, process data from multiple sources, forecast potential scenarios, prioritize based on probability and desired outcome, and recommend a best course of action
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation