AbeBooks, an Amazon company, connects millions of buyers with booksellers from around the world. We provide a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of “A Farewell to Arms”.
About the Role
AbeBooks’ mission is “to help people find and buy any book from any bookseller”. As a part of this mission we work daily to help customers discover our marketplace and the millions of books available from thousands of booksellers. This is challenging and equally rewarding for a truly global marketplace for rare and collectable books. We feel proud to provide a seamless experience to buyers from over 200 countries purchasing products from sellers representing over 60 countries. Our sites get millions of page views every day, and we promote millions of books across several marketing channels.
The Systems Development Engineer is a key role in deploying, managing, automating and securing our infrastructure and applications that support our sites and services for our external customers and internal teams.
As a Systems Development Engineer you will have an incredible opportunity to learn, implement & collaborate across teams as we manage and migrate our infrastructure tiers and services. Specifically, as part of the Site & IT Operations team you will deploy, manage & automate our network and infrastructure. Our ideal candidate is collaborative, has great written and verbal communication skills, is experienced in project & time management skills and has a successful track record of deploying automated solutions, debugging complex network issues and delivering innovative solutions. The desire and ability to work in a fast paced, collaborative environment is essential. You will have the opportunity to work with Amazon teams and Amazon technologies as we take advantage of the capabilities of our parent company. Last but not the least, you will be surrounded by smart and approachable colleagues, while living in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia.
As a Systems Development Engineer working within the AbeBooks Site & IT Operations team you will:
· Lead and implement practices and mechanisms that focus on security, automation and operational excellence.
· Effectively monitor performance of infrastructure and make recommendations for improvements.
· Use your analytical abilities, excellent written and verbal communication and proven coding & design skills as you work closely with our internal customers on designs/solutions and take them from concept to production
· Have the ability to dive deep and remain calm and focused when dealing with incident response situations, audits and investigations
· Have experience in supporting a 24x7 production environment with an on-call responsibility
· Create and maintain clear, concise documentation.
· Be able to travel occasionally to our remote Data Centre
The following qualifications are required:
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems, or equivalent
· At least three - five years relevant experience in a systems engineering or network engineering role with a strong focus on automation and security
· Experience driving engineering best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, Automation, etc.) and setting standards
· Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues.
· Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure
· Expert knowledge of Linux and coding experience with multiple common languages (Perl, Python, Ruby, shell scripting)
· A demonstrated passion for building systems that are simple and work well
· Experience implementing cloud computing services with service-oriented architecture and web services security
· In-depth knowledge of server hardware, systems and network related protocols
· Experience in deploying and supporting web and multi-tier applications in a 24x7 production environment
The following qualifications are preferred:-
· Experience managing cloud infrastructure in AWS
· Experience with CI, deployment and configuration management tools
· Java coding experience
· Expertise in information security